Can you put a SSD in MBP and HHD together and then make partition for Windows on HHD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by galaksy, Jun 14, 2014.

1. galaksy, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014

galaksy macrumors 6502

I have a 128 SSD sitting around from my old 2008 15’’ MBP with a broken screen that won’t boot up. I want to move it to my 13’’ MBP with one RAM slot out of order (so the max RAM is 4GB).

First I’m going to salvage the files by putting the SSD into my MBP 13 and moving the files to my Cloud external drive.

Then I would take out the SSD, and hopefully ask an Apple store guy to clear it and install Mavericks on it for me.

Then I would save all the things in my current internal drive to the external drive (the cloud.) Then I would format the drive, and use it for storage of heavy files in the MBP.

1. Can you partition a part of this storage drive for Windows Boot Camp?

2. Also do you need to have a Windows 7 .iso file or CD to be able to use the boot camp, or can you make the boot camp even without the file?

3. If you have a windows laptop that came with Windows 8, do you have the rights to install Windows 8 on more than one computer? (such as on the Mac via Boot Camp)

4. If I install the SDD, would it make transferring data files from my laptop to the cloud external drive (WD My Cloud) faster?

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

1. If the SSD is in your MBP you can install bootcamp on it.

2. You need either a CD or an ISO, what other methods would there be?

3. No, it is just licensed for 1 computer.

4. No, SSD or HDD will both be faster than your BB upload speed, so the bottleneck will be your BB connection.

Barney

3. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

FYI, you can have 8Gb's with one SO-DIMM.

And, why don't you just format ani install mavericks yourself? It is really easy.

4. galaksy thread starter macrumors 6502

1. What if since 128GB is not much, I want to keep all of it for just one OS (Mac). Is it possible to partition a part of the HDD (1TB) to use it as Windows bootcamp?