Can you rank WIFI connections in order of preference?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lokisince89, Nov 8, 2012.

1. lokisince89 macrumors newbie

Have a new wifi only iPad that I'm planning to use when I'm out with the personal hotspot on my phone. What I'd like to do is set up that if there is a preferred wifi like at my home or the in-laws, etc that the iPad will switch from the cell to the other connection automatically.
    Anybody know if this is possible?

thanks,

Al

2. kulimer macrumors 6502

never thought of it, this is an interesting question. Maybe someone can test with 2 Wifi present, which one does it always connect to? Or is it random? alphabetical? The one that costs more?

3. andgosun macrumors newbie

WiFi Switching

I setup my ipad for the wifi for home. When we went to my daughters house, I again set it up to their network. When I returned home, it auto connected to mine again. Several months later we went to visit our daughters again, and it linked automatically. My Gen 3 Retna has always linked wherever I was, provided I had set it up once.:) - reread - 'taking my personal hot spot'. If you take that, and already have a massive data plan for your hotspot, why would you bother to try to hook it up to another. If you disable the hotspot and link once, the auto link will be there.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Your iPad will stay connected to the Hotspot until you disconnect it. Then it will jump to your home Wi-Fi.

For instance, I'm connected via Hotspot right now, but it won't auto-connect to my home Wi-Fi until it loses the connection to my iPhone.