Can you re-register AppleCare on iMac that already had AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aneftp, Feb 8, 2010.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

I purchased 27 inch iMac core i7 off eBay. It arrives tomorrow. Supposely it has a 3 year Applecare warranty with it.

However after reading some post on AppleCare from eBay I would like to just purchased my own apple.com
    AppleCare for $120 from apple directly (education discount) which I am qualified to received since I am on staff at a major university.

So can I re registered AppleCare even though this new new iMac already has AppleCare. I have read there could be eBay scams and people generating fake codes and sometimes apple doesn't notice it until after your one year is up.

I would rather just pay for real AppleCare with the legal box and serial to protect my $2400 investment.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I think you misinterpreted what the OP was trying to say.

Sellers on Ebay sell fake AppleCare, which validates in Apple's system, but once they catch it, it will be removed from the computer that it was attached to. So... even if the iMac has AppleCare on it, Apple can remove it if it was an "unofficial" code. If that happens past the 1-year mark, you're out of luck.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, OP. I would call Apple and ask if you can do this.