Can You Really Work Online At Home? Ad as featured on Mac Rumors

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Freis968, May 31, 2009.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Has anyone here made money doing this thing here that MacRumors has on their website?

Attached Files:

2. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I know that some people work online but many ads are hoaxes.

I got my identity stolen, or compromised, with an online job application which had a follow up call. That call lasted three hours and was very unstructured and a little informal. They got too much information, and I trusted them being a government contractor, but then again government contractor (General Dynamics, Halliburton, etc) have little or no government oversight so there's a lot of room for bad apples within those organizations. Most government contractors have their bank accounts out of the country so if they get your money, chances are you screwed.

Be careful if they ask too much that can compromise your bank account or other assets. If they ask, be polite, hang up, and promptly call the FBI and your local police station.

3. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

If you send me your bank account info, I can set you up with one of these sites and you can make lots of money! Trust me, I'm the Vice Prince of Nigeriastan. :rolleyes:

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I work from home as a freelance web designer. So yeah, it's very possible and many people do it. However, you must have a certain skill in computers that allows you work online from where ever you wish. Doing grunt work with these scam websites will make you a few dollars a month for hours and hours of work.

5. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I know about 6 people that work online doing things like ads, and serveys. Trust me, dont fall for it. They say its the crapper. They would rather do yard work for a living.

6. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

I wouldn't be surprised if people actually did send you emails with their account information after they read this.. A lot of people are REALLY gullible!

7. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

That's how I work online at home :cool:

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

For most businesses, they don't ask much, but for government workers and contractors, there is this process called vetting. They do credit reports on you, a security clearance, and when they pay you it's direct deposit so they have your account information. In the vast majority of cases, this is safe. But with no government oversight on contractors (thanks W), one bad apple is all it takes to get your credit ruined, withdrawals made from your account, or your identity stolen.

I wouldn't expect other businesses to give you a 20-30 page job application, or long interview, but the government does.

My theory is that in these hard times where people are desperate, there are those willing to risk getting caught, which is very remote in the defense industry, to make a few extra bucks. Nobody is stupid enough to take out too much from your account at once, or start taking money out right away.

A smart criminal would take out very small amounts very infrequently from many, many accounts as to not raise suspicion.

Before getting identity theft protection from my bank, my perception was that identity theft is very rare and a marketing ploy from identity theft companies, and that, yes, this type of fraud was usually from places like Nigeria or China.

Anyway, I got a bad surprise by "trusting" a worker from a government agency. Heck, Madoff was the chairman of NASDAQ, and people trusted him for his resume. ;)