Can you recommend an external monitor like an iMac's display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by siam, Nov 2, 2010.

1. siam macrumors regular

I am helping my neighbor set up his new Mac Mini and he's impressed with the screen quality of my 24 inch 2008 iMac , so we are trying to find him an external monitor that would give the same results as my iMac's display.

He is looking for a non Apple - 23 / 24 inch monitor , glossy screen and a 1920x1200 resolution . Can any one Please recommend an external monitor .

Thanks

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

only one . the dell U2410 has IPS display a 1920x1200 resolution , yes its the same ips display as in the apple cinema 24" or 24" imac , there are not many display manufacturers out there in reality ,it has DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, component and composite video. There is even a 4-port USB 2.0 hub and a multiformat card reader built in , its fully adjustable to your needs

[​IMG]

3. PrePressAcrobat macrumors member

I have been using the Cinema Display from Collins.
    Beautiful !
    24" mini dvi
    basically ... made for MACs

MSD

4. GeekGuys macrumors regular

If money saving is the reason for non-Apple display then the Dell won't save you a great deal as the list price is £560 in the UK.
    You can still get some cracking deals on eBay for an Apple 24" display although not as well equipped as the Dell above.

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Not glossy though, which I actually see as a benefit, but the OP wants glossy. Not many monitors fit that description. Dell offers the best consumer monitors and the one I have quoted is a great example. In a quick search, I couldn't find any glossy IPS panels besides what Apple offers. Also, many manufacturers are dropping 1920x1200 in 24" monitors so that they can advertise Full HD with 1920x1080 (many people think HD = best).

He may need to pick glossy or IPS. He could go for a glossy, LED, TN panel, which may look alright straight on, but viewing angles will suffer dramatically. I'd recommend he consider a 24" IPS, non-glossy panel like the Dell.