Can you renew AppleCare the day your standard warranty expires?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wordoflife, Nov 25, 2011.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just want to know if I can renew my warranty the day that it expires. For example, if my warranty expires on the 27th of Nov, can I renew it on the 27th, or do I need to do it on the 26th?

I'm asking because my warranty is expiring soon and I need to decide if I need to get 2 day air shipping or not.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Thanks for reminding me to check that. I thought it would expire on the 3rd of Dec, but it is actually expiring on the 2nd :eek:

B&H isn't taking orders until Saturday evening either :eek::eek:

Hope it comes in time when I can order it.

Should have done this a while ago. Oh well.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

You can even do it afterwards as long as you can prove you bought the Applecare before your standard warranty expired. You will need to call up Apple to do so, though.

5. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Next question, what exactly do I need to register the AppleCare?
    I emailed some guy on Ebay (very reputable) and asked if he could email me the code. He said he could.

Would I need anything else?

6. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Looks like that's just for Apple Store purchases, so that wouldn't apply if I bought it from a different place (for a cheaper price).

Does anyone know about just using the code to activate it? (see post 5)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it applies to any purchase, no matter where you buy it.

8. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Oh I see, thank you.
    I thought it wanted the receipt number, but it actually wanted the registration number for the actual AppleCare.

:eek:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They may also want you to email or fax the receipt for the AppleCare purchase, proving it was bought during the warranty period.

10. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yep. They want proof of purchase for my Mac and the AppleCare (in the link you posted).

That might be a problem because the original computer I bought was swapped on the spot at the Apple Store for this machine ... so naturally the serial numbers don't match up with each other (between receipt and computer). Will have to see if they gave me any documentation regarding that.

Edit: Found the receipt that basically says they returned my old computer and bought a new one with a net price of $0.00 ... so basically a swap. It also has both the serial numbers on it, so I should be good. First time I'm saying this, but it is sure nice to be organized. :p