Can you see the 3GHz G5's being with us in just 2 months?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edesignuk, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus


    Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    So it was back in June last year when the 2GHz G5 was announced, fantastic we all thought! :cool: Also, if memory serves correct, Steve-o said that 3GHz G5's would we with us in 12 months time. Again, we all thought this was brilliant, finally Apple would start to give their product line decent updates at regular intervals. Not so, it's 10 months later and not a single speed bump, how on earth can we expect to go from 2GHz to 3GHz in just 2 short months?

    This is getting as bad as moto :rolleyes:. Lucky for me I'm not looking to buy at the moment, so it doesn't effect me, but I read threads everyday here from people waiting to buy until they get an update. WTF is wrong with Apple????
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Nov 1, 2001
    I will be amazed if we see 3.0 GHz announced

    Overall, its been a very strange time - and Apple is going to have to do something - I've been waiting to buy the Rev B G5 for some time now. I think if I had known it would have been this long or a year, I would have bought it. But I'm still holding out.

  3. naodx macrumors newbie

    Apr 9, 2004
    Well I can see them doing what they did last year, announcing it then shipping it later this fall.

    I do believe that they will their mid-ranged and low-ranged G5's available sooner, but I think we will have to wait on the 3GHz.
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

    Mar 2, 2002
    I won't be the least bit surprised. I'll be satisfied if dual 3.0GHz is announced at WWDC 2004, but not surprised. What would surprise me is if that 3.0GHz promise was broken...and instead we get dual and quad 3.0GHz processors.

    But I also wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait until well after WWDC 2004 before you could purchase the updates...or if we don't hit 3.0GHz by WWDC 2004. I'm saying this because with the first G5, we had to wait for months before they shipped (mentioned one post up), and during the PowerMac G4 update periods, we got miserable CPU frequency increases each year and only expected more.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Yes, but I don't know if the UniNorth 3 Controller chip is going to be buzzing along at 1.5GHz

    If Apple and IBM keep the U3 at half speed they're going to run into heat problems with the U3 -- and we'll probably see the thing sporting it's own PPC-type cooling tower soon.
  6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus


    Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    2 months?

    We better be, otherwise this forum will implode into a singularity of complaining from the sheer weight of whiners. ;)
  7. jane doe macrumors 6502

    Feb 18, 2004
    If thats the case, It might be a good idea to start the back-up now. Steve Said within a year. Not in a year. Meaning anytime in 2004. I doubt even if they did hit 3Ghz, they would ship before sept.

  8. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a


    Nov 17, 2003
    Sum, Ergo Sum.
    Oh dear God... I think I'm not logging in for a month or six, if that happens. I can barely take it as it is. :rolleyes:
  9. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    If Steve is to ever have any credibly, he has to keep his promise. Otherwise he will need to come clean with a straightforward honest reason.
  10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus


    Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Exactly, so according to his own words last year, we *should* be at 3GHz within the next 2 me a sceptic, but I just can't see it how they could jump 1GHz in a single speed bump :( :rolleyes:

    edit: KC, WTF? I just quoted that post! :eek: :D
  11. King Cobra macrumors 603

    Mar 2, 2002
    I edited the post because when I checked to see if the movie link worked from my own post, playing the .mp4 file back caused Quicktime to crash. So I'm trying a .mov file instead. Bah, I hate it when Quicktime crashes! F*** you, Quicktime.

    All right, this time, it worked.

    (Click the image for the dial-up 600KB video proof in .mov format.)
  12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    KingCobra that was very nice, have not seen that in 10 months. so 3 gig within 12 months. guess ill just keep waiting and whinning. :( :D
  13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus


    Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    ha, you and me both mate!

    No problem KC ;) :)
  14. varmit macrumors 68000


    Aug 5, 2003
    they will be doing like that have been doing

    Say they have something, then wait about 2-4 months before actually giving it out. Or, they will make the 2 Ghz become worthless with same price for the 3 Ghz upgrade. Or, they release it as a new unit, making it more expensive. Man, they will have to stop the sale of any 2 Ghz months ahead of time if they don't want to make them worthless when they do the 3Ghz release if it is going to be a the 2 Ghz price.

Share This Page