Can you select no icons to show up on your desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mashinhead, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I want my desktop to have no icons or folders show up on the desktop itself, only through the finder or through a stacks folder. Is that possible?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Yes. In Finder, go to Preferences, General, and uncheck all the "show these items on Desktop" and then make sure you don't have any stray files or folders on your desktop.

3. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

You can remove hard drives by going to Finder Preferences and under General deselect all of the show these items on desktop check boxes.

EDIT:Beaten to it.

4. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

yea i'm aware of that but that doesn't include folders and say screenshots and stuff like that. that' s just for mounted disks.

5. atarin macrumors regular

Don't folders and screen shots show up on your desktop because you saved them there? Move them to another location, and they won't show up on the desktop? Just a thought.

6. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's the "and then make sure you don't have any stray files or folders on your desktop" part...you have to also not have anything in your Desktop directory. I don't believe you can prevent items in your Desktop directory from showing on the Desktop, at least not without a third-party app. Just store them in a different directory.

7. sphalerite2000 macrumors newbie

No folder Icons visible on desktop or finder

Last week I signed on and I had no folder icons visible on the desktop (the names of the folders still appear) or in the finder, how do I get them back?

- thanks