Can you share iCloud storage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhigh8, Oct 8, 2014.

1. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

So both my wife and I have iCloud accounts. Could I pay and upgrade my iCloud storage and her use it since I won't need that much?

Would it make sense for us to just share the ID or would that mess up our stuff on our devices?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Depends on how much you have your phones integrated with iCloud.

Say you guys link your notes, calendar, reminders, etc to the cloud then when you are both signed into the same account and one of you puts in something new then you both will get it on your phones. You might be like "huh? since when did I have a doctors appoint?

3. ttmrn macrumors regular

via family sharing? no.

----------

Well you could..
    just set both iPhone with the same "main" iCloud id.
    Just switch off the Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes.

then setup ur wife's one, with her own Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes.

However, you can't have separate Bookmarks, Photo Stream, iCloud Drive, and Find My iPhone.
    But I doubt that's important anyway.

So technically, you cld share it.

4. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

We really just use apps. We don't share anything else. Music I suppose. Apple purchased.

5. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

But how would we do backups? If I backup to the cloud and she backs up to the cloud, wouldnt we mess things up?

6. ttmrn macrumors regular

No, it would be clearly stated there.

7. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Clearly stated how? By device?

8. ttmrn macrumors regular

yes.

haven't u already done it like with ur iphone and ipad before?

9. deviant macrumors 65816

Dude pay a buck a month more and be done with it. It's not worth wasting time on this for 99cents a month, really.

10. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. Time and date of last backup. I always see iphone 5. Maybe I can change name.

Thanks.

----------

Yeah I get it. It's 3.99 to the next plan up for us. And I would never come close to 200 gb. So was just wondering.

11. caesarp macrumors 6502a

You could each have your own 5GB free icloud storage by sharing only your iTunes account (so you can still share all apps and other purchases), but each use your own icloud ID/account.

One shared account for the iTunes/app store. Unique icloud accounts. Simple

12. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I don't think that is the objective here. He is talking about sharing a 200GB/mo iCloud storage plan, rather than paying for two separate smaller plans.

It seems like it should work though, the only thing would be if you use some apps that sync with iCloud..they would then share data.

The only other issue could be iMessage, but I believe you can have a separate email for iMessage that isn't your logged in iCloud account.