Can you still get AppleCare for the iPhone 4... from an authorized Apple reseller?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by juandule, Nov 17, 2011.

1. juandule macrumors newbie

OK, I know about all the horror stories about buying AppleCare from sellers on eBay and then the the AppleCare is not legitimate or Apple doesn't honor it. But here is my hypothetical scenario and question which doesn't seem to have been addressed anywhere, and I was wondering if anyone knows with any certainty the answer to this question...

- I buy a used iPhone 4 that is still under the original Apple 1-year warranty.

- I know that I can't buy AppleCare for that phone from Apple, because now I can only get AppleCare+ for my iPhone, and only at the time of purchase

- But, if I find a legitimate Apple reseller who sells me a legitimate iPhone AppleCare box with a legitimate serial number, will Apple honor the AppleCare if I register it within the 1-year warranty for the used iPhone 4?

- And... if they would honor it, would the iPhone AppleCare be able to be applied only to "old" iPhones (iPhone 4 and earlier) still under warranty, or also to "new" iPhones (iPhone 4 8GB and all iPhones 4S) sold after the new AppleCare+ policy took effect?

2. juandule thread starter macrumors newbie

3. SR45, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Read this link for some information to one of your questions in RED...

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/18...e-for-sale-within-30-days-of-iphone-purchase/

"* Buy it within 30 days of your iPhone purchase:
    - At Apple Retail (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPhone & proof of purchase).
    - Or call 1-800-275-2273 (requires proof of purchase)."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/didnt-get-the-applecare-with-your-iphone-worry-not-you-now-h/

4. juandule thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding, but the links you provided both refer to AppleCare+ which is a different product from the old AppleCare.

Before AppleCare+, AppleCare could be purchased separately from authorized (and sometimes "unauthorized") Apple resellers and applied to an iPhone, as long as it was purchased and registered before the orignal 1-year Apple warranty expired. You would purchase this product from a physical store in the form of a CD-sized box with a serial number which you used to register the AppleCare. You can still do this with other products such as laptops and desktops.

There are still some of these CD-sized "AppleCare for the iPhone" boxes available for purchase. So my question is: if you get a legitimate (old) AppleCare box from a legitimate seller, can you still apply it to an iPhone 4 that was purchased before the introduction of AppleCare+ and is still in warranty?

5. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'd also like to know the answer to this. I sold my iPhone 4, but my wife is keeping hers for another year. I wouldn't mind having AppleCare on it, as we keep having home button issues.

6. juandule thread starter macrumors newbie

I just called AppleCare and the representative said that iPhones purchased before the introduction of AppleCare+ are still eligible to have AppleCare (without the plus) added to them for $69 within the 1-year Apple warranty. AppleCare would expire two years after the original purchase date of the phone. He said that the way to do this would be to call Apple to purchase it.

Note: I did not ask him if buying an "AppleCare for the iPhone" box would also be a legitimate way to add AppleCare to an iPhone. I am guessing it would, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it just to save $10 or $20.

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have bought these CD sized boxes of AppleCare for my previous iPhone and MBP. I never bought directly from apple. I did get it from an authorized reseller. All it contains is some code that you need to enter with your serial number then you'll get the additional time. Save money where you can.

8. Sectaguy macrumors newbie

Also, Juan, some online reseller are doing it now for $49. $49 (old applecare) versus $99 is a huge difference.

I will call the Apple care number tomorrow, see what they tell me about it.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

"Old AppleCare" is not $99. It's $69.

10. Sectaguy macrumors newbie

Correct, I meant $49 (or $69 if you will) old AC versus $99 new AC

----------

Juan,

I called the AC phone today (800-275-2273) and the representative said that YES, you are still able to get the old AC for the 4s.

I did not ask however if you can purchase it with them. Again, the whole basis of my point is that you can just purchase one of those old boxes at Fry's, Walmart, Amazon or other online seller and register your 4s.

Obviously, it would be still valid to understand that I have not done this yet. I'll take the representative's word for it and the fact that I have not heard anyone say that this can't be done. Especially for the 4s. Also, there is nothing in the Apple website regarding this. The information that other users have posted here comes directly from the Apple's services webpage, where this old AC system is a shady area.