Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone envy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Berkeley, CA
I got the white iphone on launch day and recently noticed the plastic housing is cracking (yes I know there is a thread dedicated to that topic). My questions are, when you take a phone back for replacement can you:

1 - Get an alternative colored phone?
2 - Can you refuse to accept a refurbised replacement phone and demand only a new phone?
3 - If Apple releases a newer model - say 32 gig - could I use my warranty / return to upgrade at some sort of discounted cost?

I know I can always try, but does anyone know for sure if I can do 1-3?

I assume #3 is the biggest longshot, but before I take back my phone I wondered if it made sense to hold onto the problem while I'm still under warranty for 6 months to see if there was some upgrade (memory, gps chip, etc) I could parlay my cracked phone into getting.

Thanks all

Bankerts

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
When I got my phone swapped I asked questions one and two. Got a no for both but I wasn't pushy or rude to the Genius Bar guy. I was happy enough to be getting a replacement so I did't pursue it beyond the first question.

As always with the Genius Bar, it depends on who you get.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
When I got my phone swapped I asked questions one and two. Got a no for both but I wasn't pushy or rude to the Genius Bar guy. I was happy enough to be getting a replacement so I did't pursue it beyond the first question.

As always with the Genius Bar, it depends on who you get.

Exactly. I don't see why not but it will depend on the Genius.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
A coworker had a defective black 8GB. He took it in for a genius appointment, and they determined that he needed a replacement.

He asked if he could pay the difference to get the 16GB, and the answer he was given was, "What color do you want?" He walked out with a 16GB in white.

He was also within his 30 day return window though, so that may make a difference.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I have heard of people exchanging colors, it depends on your Genius. As for upgrading, I don't think they will let you unless it is within 30 days.

I've had two phones replaced and swapped colors each time. I went back to black to match my new MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.