Can you.. "Swap" Iphone "glass" with another Iphone Gen?(3G/3GS)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inkllicious, May 11, 2011.

1. Inkllicious macrumors regular

So heres the story.

Few months back. Horrible Accident. Iphone 3Gs fell out of car whilst getting out.
    *Crack*. Yadda Yadda.

OCD In me hates cracks, and it felt 'trashy' to use; so it sits in a drawer whilst I use my 3G.

However I miss the processing speed so much. as well as some IOS4 Capabilities. Is it possible just to switch the glass plates? Or am I wasting my time if I try?

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yes, it may be difficult cleanly separating the glass from the LCD and adhesive - but if you can do that it will be fine. You can't swap the screens out completely though (from what I've heard). You can also by the glass online for fairly cheap.

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

The digitizer connection is different... all be it slightly... but you have to have the exact part for the 3Gs to replace it.
    Also, it is not an operation for the faint of heart... if you try it use an iron (standing up) to warm the surface... I dont like using a heat gun, since it goes everywhere.

4. Inkllicious thread starter macrumors regular

Its not the actual LCD Screen I want to replace - just the surface glass.

5. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

But the surface glass has a digitizer in it so that the touch screen will actually function. The LCD and digitizer are two separate cables.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The glass surface aka digitiser has a different connector. Tbh it takes 10 minutes to replace the glass well it does if you have replaced as many as I have. If you order a digitiser plus bezel off of eBay it takes 5 minutes.

7. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Just buy one off eBay or amazon. You can find someone on craigslist to do it for around 30 you might want to go that way.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

They are not compatible. Buy a new digitizer off eBay for $10 or buy a whole LCD assembly ($50) and sell your old LCD ($20+).

9. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

TIp, order the digitizer, earpiece speaker, light and proximity sensors, home button and the mid frame all assembled. This makes it very easy to swap! Still not very expensive, mine was like $25 off ebay.

10. Inkllicious thread starter macrumors regular

Buying the piece off Amazon sounds like a better route. Called a repair shop. 80$+. I would rather invest my own time than money.