Can you swap out HD from unibody 15" into a 17" without reinstalling everything?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbuzztv, Mar 29, 2009.

1. macbuzztv macrumors newbie

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has taken their old HD from a unibody 15" and just installed into a new unibody 17" does that work? or should you reinstall everything because of firmware drivers etc that may be unique to the 17?

Thanks!

Derrick

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yes

Just use migration assistant it wont take long.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Reinstall. ;)

4. macbuzztv thread starter macrumors newbie

dang!

thanks for your suggesions!

i was hoping i wasn't going to have to do that, since i got nearly 300 apps to reinstall :(. . oh well. . guess it'll be good to start afresh. . . . .i'm waiting for the new Seagate 7200.4 500GB drive too. . ..

5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I use one 500gb HDD between my 15" and 17" as well as macbook. I have had no problems.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

there shouldnt be any problems what so ever.

of course backs up go along way and when in doubt use migration assistant...i thought id never use it but with the new and different builds of these notebooks, its come in very handy.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. Do a clean install and then run Migration Assistant - you won't need to reinstall your applications. Don't bother with trying to image your HDD and then running in on the new portable.

8. khakilad macrumors member

I think what the poster is trying to say is simply to remove the drive from one laptop and then put in another without having to use SuperDuper or any thing like that.

In response to the poster. I have done exactly what you are trying to do but have gone from a MB 13 to a MBP 15 and I have had no problems.

Hope this helps.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I understood that but didn't make my post clear, my fault. :p I only recommend that only for the fact, if there is any which I doubt since this rarely causes any problems, is drivers/firmware. By using the default HDD that comes with the 17-inch, everything is within "spec" and by running MA, you don't run into any conflicting files. Again, it's rare since all hardware is the same anyway. If khakilad says it's ok to do so, by all means go ahead and swap! Have fun!