Can you tell me what's going on with my Mac pro and help me fix it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr M5, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

I would say since installing lion I have had trouble with slow start ups and slow shut downs, I guess this is a known problem but I have also had trouble with the computer not shutting down and just getting stuck on the white screen and having to do a forced shut down ( I posted about that once before).

But additionally, I'm having trouble with apps loading and the spinning wheel popping up. Also, I tried to load a word document yesterday, and word kept locking up and never did load the document. Though, if I just bring up a blank word doc word works fine.

Overall, I'm very frustrated I love my Mac but now it feels cheap like a pc.

I'm open to suggestions. If you need more info please let me know.

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

3. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd rather not I like the new feature of lion I just want it to work. I didn't know if anybody may have suggestions or ideas of what's causing this. Also, if I do have to go back to snow leopard I have no idea how to do that.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I would try a clean new install. That solves usually all of these weird upgrade issues.
    Otherwise startup in verbose mode and find somebody who can interpret the results.

5. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do that?

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Did you create a bootable disc of lion either CD or thumb drive?

If you did bot from you original OSX CD and format the HD I always recommend zeroing out the data..eject cd and shut down

Put what ever media lion is stored on into the computer, hold the option key to bring up the list of bootable drives boot from Lion media re-install migrate from time machine.

If you have no lion media, I can't help..

The only idea I have is to format all but the recovery partition (possible?) that was made when you installed Lion. boot to it and net recover..

7. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

No, I downloaded lion from the app store. I let it run and do it's thing, nothing more nothing less.

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I hope others will be able to help then..cause I'm out of great ides :eek:

9. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Me too... Thanks for trying :p

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Download it again and create a bootable thumb drive with it this time.
    But with the recovery partition you should be able to reformat the OS partition too, if they didn't block disk utility in some way. just enter the rec. partition delete it and hit recover.
    First you should backup your data obviously.

Cannot give you any more details. I am staying clear of Lion because I am fond of my battery life and in all but the 2011 notebooks battery life seemed to have tanked and even on 2011 notebooks it is said to be worse.

11. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

If you have an external drive connected via Firewire you could try installing a pristine version of Lion on a partition and then run your Mac from the external.

If if it works well, then I would suspect some sort of conflict with one of the apps or drivers installed on your Mac.

FWIW, installing a major OS upgrade on a Mac that is running fine is always risky, particularly the initial release... I tend to wait until at least version 10.X.3 or even later depending on user reports about bugs.

One of the advantages to having an external drive with a bootable clone of your Mac's drive is that you can install a new OS on either the internal or external drive and see how well it works for you. In either scenario it is very easy to switch back to the working OS if you run into problems.

I never do a major upgrade without having a recent clone available in case of trouble. In fact, I run SuperDuper! before any software update Just In Case... And I'm the kind of Mac user who makes sure that all apps are compatible with the new OS before upgrading.

I recently purchased a 13" MBP that I thought would come with Snow Leopard but instead has Lion. (Amazon's products description page was inaccurate and it was corrected a couple of days after I purchased the MBP.)

It's the first time that I have not used Migration Assistant to transfer data from another Mac. I figured that since Lion is markedly different from SL that I would start with a fresh installation and only install the apps that I need on the MBP. So far the MBP is running like a champ and I don't have all the left-over dross of myriad apps that I have collected on my iMac.

If you had done a major OS upgrade on a Windows PC you could also experience problems after a major OS upgrade. It's not a Mac vs. Windows issue... Unless you are running a stock Mac configuration with no third-party apps, etc. it is highly likely that something will be broken after an upgrade. Drivers are a common source of woes after an upgrade. Since most of us customize the heck out of our Macs, it only makes sense to exercise caution when doing a major OS upgrade.

Unfortunately, the move to easy downloading of OS upgrades via the App Store makes it very easy for people to upgrade before a new OS is really ready for Prime Time. I prefer to let others be the early-adopters and discover the bugs before I upgrade.