Can you tether your iPhone's internet to other Apple devices in public?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhiladelphiaX, Nov 15, 2012.

1. PhiladelphiaX, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

PhiladelphiaX macrumors member

I won't over complicate the question: Basically, what I'd like to know is, can you tether the internet (ie. unlimited data from iPhone) to other Apple devices? For example:

Could I tether my iPhone's internet to my Macbook Pro when I'm in public (where there is no wi-fi)?

Could I tether my iPhone's internet to my iPad when I'm on a train in public (where there is no wi-fi)?

Are there tariffs to allowance of tethering? Do certain carriers allow tethering? If so, which ones? Do they charge for a tethering service?

I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss jail breaking on these forums (I'm relatively new), but is it possible to jailbreak your device to allow tethering?

Does tethering have any sort of significant impact on the device's battery life?

All answers and insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Yes you can tether your iPhones Internet connection to any wifi compatible device. Some carriers (all of the ones in the USA) block this feature unless you pay extra for it.

There are ways around it through jailbreaking. I used to use PDAnet to tether for free on AT&T.

As for battery life yes it does make your battery die significantly faster. Maybe it varies but there were some times when I was tethering and my iPhones battery percentage was still slowly dropping despite being plugged in.