Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
If they have iMessage on it should work right? You can just enter there number via the iPad messages app or is there some other settings you need to enable beforehand?

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
If you're in the UK and on the O2 network you can using their app called TuGo. If you're on a contract you can call and text from your iPad, it just comes out of your monthly allowance, your phone number still comes up on the other persons phone as it usually would too.

I've found it slightly buggy at times though, occasionally notifications don't come through.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
If they have iMessage on it should work right? You can just enter there number via the iPad messages app or is there some other settings you need to enable beforehand?

Yes you can use iMessage to send messages from an iPad to an iPhone. Usually you just enter the person's email or phone number (or just their name if they are in your contacts), it'll change color to indicate they have iMessage set up and then away you go.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Yes, you can. You shouldn't have to enable any settings. You could also do it from a Mac running Mountain Lion or newer, if you have one.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If you're in the UK and on the O2 network you can using their app called TuGo. If you're on a contract you can call and text from your iPad, it just comes out of your monthly allowance, your phone number still comes up on the other persons phone as it usually would too.

I've found it slightly buggy at times though, occasionally notifications don't come through.
This is what I do. I'm on 02. I also use imessage.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
This is what I do. I'm on 02. I also use imessage.
I'm on AT&T but probably the same right on

Yes you can use iMessage to send messages from an iPad to an iPhone. Usually you just enter the person's email or phone number (or just their name if they are in your contacts), it'll change color to indicate they have iMessage set up and then away you go.

Yes, you can. You shouldn't have to enable any settings. You could also do it from a Mac running Mountain Lion or newer, if you have one.
Ok how does it work if the tables are flipped. I have an iPad and iPhone both currently logged into my iCloud account and iMessage. I am in the process of giving up the iPhone to my sister and just waiting for the 6 while using a basic phone with no text plan. Now--is there any way I can still receive iMessages from people who would be trying to text my phone number, but on the iPad? Does that make sense? I basically want to know if a person with an iPhone can input my number and I can receive that text on my iPad?

It does say in the iMessage app where my number is to select "where to start conversations from" and I believe I can select my iCloud email....should I select this before handing the phone over?

KnickFan

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013

Ok how does it work if the tables are flipped. I have an iPad and iPhone both currently logged into my iCloud account and iMessage. I am in the process of giving up the iPhone to my sister and just waiting for the 6 while using a basic phone with no text plan. Now--is there any way I can still receive iMessages from people who would be trying to text my phone number, but on the iPad? Does that make sense? I basically want to know if a person with an iPhone can input my number and I can receive that text on my iPad?

It does say in the iMessage app where my number is to select "where to start conversations from" and I believe I can select my iCloud email....should I select this before handing the phone over?
I don't think you will still be able to receive imessages directed to your phone number if you give up your plan, without being charged per message. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure once you give up the phone, you will only be able to send and receive iMessages with your email account listed as the contact.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Of course you can! This is why I love my MacBook/iPad/iPhone. I can start a conversation with someone and if they have an iDevice, pick it up on my iPad and then once again on my MacBook. I can't stand when I'm texting someone without and iPhone. That's why I only make friends down at my local Starbucks.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I don't think you will still be able to receive imessages directed to your phone number if you give up your plan, without being charged per message. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure once you give up the phone, you will only be able to send and receive iMessages with your email account listed as the contact.
thats what I thought ah well

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

Yes, assuming that they have enabled iMessage on their iPad and set their phone number (associated with Apple ID) to receive messages on the iPad.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

You can have them send iMessages to your iCloud address instead of the phone number. Works the same. You can set up iMessage to receive messages sent to your number appear on your iPad but I'm not sure if that continues to work if you give up your phone number. If you get another non-iphone using your old number they will appear as regular texts on the new phone.

Another thing to keep in mind is there are a number of texting apps in the App Store that can set up a phone number on your iPad and send messages to and receive from any phone. Of course you need internet access for these to work as opposed to regular texting.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I can't stand when I'm texting someone without and iPhone. That's why I only make friends down at my local Starbucks.

LOL

Seriously though I don't have an unlimited text plan, so I really don't like people without iMessage! ;)

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Same here ;) I like I can reply back on my iPad if the other person has an iOS device.

Yes, love that! Most annoying is when someone starts a huge group text message thread -- for sure one of the people won't be on iMessage so the whole thing is on regular texts... Hate that... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.