Can you transfer the iOS from one iPhone to another?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zoebaggins, Nov 2, 2012.

1. zoebaggins macrumors member

I recently decided to upgrade to a 4S from a 4 but I have a problem. Seeing as how there's no authorized jailbreak for iOS 6, I'm wondering if I can somehow restore and transfer iOS 5 from my 4 to my new 4S? I know you can transfer physical data but I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer the whole OS. I did a Google search but I couldn't find a definite answer to my problem. Any help would be great! :)

2. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

As far as I know, no. There is no way to image one device and copy that image to another.

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

iPhone 4Ss may still come with iOS5, I got a replacement 2 weeks ago that came with 5.1.1

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

iPhones ship with the build that they came with. An iPhone 5 will ship with iOS 6, iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 and the iPhone 4 iOS 4.3.5. Basically the last version of the build when it came from the factory. Trying to put it in easier words... um the last update before the next major one. Like iPod Touch 4's will come with 4.3.5

6. zoebaggins thread starter macrumors member

I understand what you guys are saying but I bought mine refurbished on eBay and the seller already upgraded it to iOS 6. I don't know how long it'll be before a jailbreak comes out but I'm wondering if I should just trade in my iPhone 4 and my 4S (which I already have in person), cut my losses, and just buy a 4S new out of the box since it comes with iOS 5 standard.