Can you transfer your Apple products to someone elses account?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Bubbles82, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Bubbles82 macrumors newbie

My Dad recently gave me his MacBook Pro. I formatted the hard drive and popped in the disc for a clean installation of Lion and it prompted me to input an Apple ID and password. After inputting my old user name and password, it said that my user ID did not purchase a copy of Lion and therefore cannot continue with the installation. Only my Dad's Apple ID will work. Is there some way around this or can my Dad log in to his account and transfer his copy of Lion to my account? I want his computer and his copy of Lion OS that came with it registered under my account.

2. Bubbles82 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I began installing it using his ID, so I think this issue might be resolved. But will I need to use his ID for anything else down the road or am I good to go? Is it beneficial to have the OS and laptop registered under my Apple ID?

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think in terms of the OS, you're good to go.

Unless his MBP came with DVDs to reinstall iLife, you might have a hassle getting them installed via the App Store, as they'd be tied to his AppleID. You could use his AppleID to install them, but you'd also need his AppleID each time they require updating.

Some folks have had luck working with iTunes support to have the iLife apps associated with their AppleID.

I haven't seen any threads about people having OS X re-associated between AppleIDs.