can you upgrade hd in MBP or not? Two different answers...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by malch, Nov 15, 2012.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there...
    When I google 'can you upgrade hard drive in Retina Macbook Pro' the first two hits are:

Want to upgrade that 'Retina' MacBook Pro? Tough luck

and

OWC releases first Retina SSD upgrade | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

So... which one is right?
    Thanks,
    malch

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

They both are.

OWC sells an upgrade to the flash storage in the rMBP. However, doing so voids the Apple warranty, because there are no user-serviceable parts in it.

3. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow... I only make a big Apple purchase like this once every few years, and I always get AppleCare (not that I've ever really needed it, but I like to know it's there). AppleCare would be null and void if you upgrade your hd according to OWC's instructions, from what you're saying.

Are people thinking that the next MBP iteration might be user-upgradeable (without voiding warranty)? I know no one can really ever know these things, but if there's enough negative feedback, you'd like to think that Apple might change things up. Or is this 'Don't Open It' approach Apple's new way of doing things?

thanks, malch

4. mslide macrumors 6502a

It's not new at all. Most Apple products are/were designed to be black boxes that a user isn't ever supposed to open.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Apple, it seems, rarely changes course. So it seems unlikely that the next iteration of rMBPs will be user-upgradable. Possible, but unlikely.

Apple's goal appears to be forced obsolescence, by preventing an owner from upgrading their existing machine and in effect requiring them to buy a whole new computer.