Can you Upgrade to New iPhone and Swap Phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gswilder, Jun 9, 2010.

1. gswilder macrumors regular

Sorry another upgrade thread, but didn't see this posted.

I got a 3GS last summer, so I am not eligible for an upgrade until Feb 2011.

My wife has the original iPhone, and I did the *639# check. It says hers is available to upgrade immediately for the $18 dollar fee.

So my question is this......

Can I order a new iphone on the 15th for my wife's phone xxx-yyy-8642.

Then have ATT/Apple activate the new iPhone for my number xxx-yyy-0224.

Then give my wife my current 3GS and activate that for her number xxx-yyy-8642?

Will ATT allow that? (or swap SIM cards myself)

Thanks

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

AT&T is going to activate the new phone on the line that's eligible, the device switch would have to be between you and your gal...but the next problem you'll encounter is that the 3GS you currently have uses a regular sim card while the iPhone 4 uses a micro sim

3. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

FALSE.

You order the phone, have it delivered to your home and activate through itunes using YOUR number on the new micro sim. If you plan to pick it up from the AT&T store instead, they will handle it for you. Either way, the person above is wrong.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I concur.

5. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

I have the same situation with my brother and mom. She is eligible but my brother isn't. My problem is that mom has no data whatsoever.

Now if I switch the phones would there be an issue with my brother losing his unlimited and also be able to cancel the data plan considering she uses a dumb phone now and prob will forever?

6. truciet macrumors 6502

Actually you're false...

Yes the iPhone comes unactivated, however the SIM card's serial is registered to AT&T to the line you chose. As soon you plug it up to iTunes, it will activated it right away and deactivate your upgraded line's sim card.

The best option will be is when you get the phone, DO NOT activate it. Instead, you will call or take it to AT&T to switch everything over to your line.

7. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

As long as your brother already has an unlimited data plan attached to his line, he won't lose it (at least for now, haha). You will be able to call AT&T and have them remove the data plan on your moms line.

8. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Explain how I'm false? What did you just say?
    1. It will be activated through itunes - OKAY...I said that?
    2. It will "deactivate" your current lines sim card - Again, OKAY....?
    Where is the problem? Last I checked, his previous sim that will be deactivated DOESN'T belong to his wife's line, so please do tell me how I'm false sir? I'm not seeing the conflict here in which you describe.

EDIT: Wait, you're an idiot because you're actually saying by him activating HIS LINE, it will deactivate his WIFE'S line. Okay, yep you're clueless no need for a reply.

9. truciet macrumors 6502

This is false. It will not activate HIS number. It will automatically activate the phone to his WIFE'S number...

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You're still going to have to call AT&T to get the phone numbers switched around. No big deal though. That's what I'm doing. The AT&T rep told me to call them when I activate it and they will switch the numbers around. It's on their database and has nothing to do with the sim card.

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I think he misread your post as you both are saying the same thing.

The only thing I think there's a difference in, is in the fact that he states the new sim comes registered to the upgraded line, which is not true. It's "attached" (for billing purposes) to the upgraded line, but once you activate it for the line you intend to use it one, you're good to go.

I recommend doing a reserve then an in-store pickup, the CSR at the store will be more than happy to assist you with everything.

12. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Okay! Sure man, whatever you say. Sounds legit. I told you a reply was not needed, but you're generous enough to give me one anyway, so again thanks!

13. Young Turk macrumors 6502

Does this Apple support article put this to bed?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2846

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

No because AT&T can switch the number without replacing the SIM.

15. truciet macrumors 6502

No biggie. Didn't mean to sound rude or offend you. Trust me I've been through it. I have 10 lines in 2 different states. I've upgrade many lines and the very first time I activated an iPhone 3G, my mom's sim card died while she was in New Orleans and I had the newly activated sim card in Dallas :p

16. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Nah, were not saying the same things. He's saying plugging the phone into itunes will activate the line of your choosing, however it will also deactivate the upgraded lines sim. I'm saying it wont. But, we have a group of people saying one thing and another group saying the opposite so no point in going back and forth.

17. Young Turk macrumors 6502

The pragmatist in me wants to know which of you have actually succeeded in doing it the way you say here?

18. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Interesting. Again, there's some huge discrepancies going on this forum then in regards to using a line to upgrade other than your own. I've definitely heard it both ways or maybe even 3, haha and convinced myself that the way I believe it to be true is true, but I'll know for sure in about two weeks and then the smoke will clear and things will be good.

19. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'm going to upgrade my sisters line and give her my 3GS. I was planning on preordering from Apple having the phone sent to me. I've cut my sim to the size of a micro sim and I have an adapter so I can use it in my 3GS until the iPhone 4 is released. Since I can easily switch the sim cards shouldn't I be able to just activate the iPhone 4 with iTunes and then put her sim in the 3GS and my sim in the iPhone 4?

20. carlili4190 macrumors regular

How's this for another question... My GF has a family plan with 3 people on it... her sister is going to get the iphone 4 and my GF is getting the iphone 4... Her mom is NOT.. I plan on joining their family plan... Can she pre-order(for in-store pickup)3 of them and give one of them to me ?

21. truciet macrumors 6502

You can do that actually. However, you will still need to call into AT&T and accept the 2yr agreement manually. Otherwise, AT&T/Apple has the right to charge the difference of retail - activation price to your credit card or account.

22. truciet macrumors 6502

Yeah you can. However, you will still need to do the whole swap thing for your phone. If you're adding on to their plan, why don't you just get the iPhone 4 yourself?

23. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

If what truciet is saying is correct, if you were to call AT&T after you activated your phone, wouldn't the upgraded line in which the purchase was made SIM be 'dead' at that point, so how would this "switching" numbers around work exactly?

EDIT: I noticed you said "when" you activate, so I'm assuming before you actually go through the activation process then?

24. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It's because you don't. When you connect it to iTunes for home activation you type in the account number and the actual number your activating the sim under - not the line it was ordered under.

It has no effect on the ordered line unless you put in the wrong number at activation.