Can you use a jailbreak 3GS 3.1.3 as a GPS mapping device, ie. TomTom ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Panchophone, May 3, 2010.

1. Panchophone macrumors newbie

Can you use a jailbreak 3GS 3.1.3 as a GPS mapping device, ie. TomTom ?

Am a complete newby to this. Have been reading forums for two evenings, and need some clarity Re. GPS. Am going to buy a iphone 3GS 16G soon, and it will have 3.1.3 firmware. Have never had any of the Tomtom type GPS devices, or an iphone, before. I need the GPS thing for my new job--lots of traveling around town, looking for residential addresses.

I have noticed this sort of thing on some friends phones. You enter the address into the phone, and then it verbally and visually gives you instructions on how to get to the location. A few questions:

1. Is this an "app" that you buy once, or do you subscribe to it monthly, or what ?
    2. Will it still work on a jailbreak 3GS, 3.1.3?
    3. Is there any additional esoteric knowledge or info I should seek about this GPS function ?

Thanks

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

My 3GS is Jailbroken and I have used both TomTom and Navigon. Functions the same as a stock iPhone.

Most GPS apps are a one time price, but some are month pay. or yearly payment.

GPS apps work best on 3GS, worse on 2G and 3G

3. y0umebednow macrumors newbie

The 2G does not actually have GPS as it uses network triangulation to locate you (you must have internet data plan or wifi for it to work)

But true, i noticed a major change in GPS performance on my 3GS compared to my 3G. On my 3GS TomTom would have a signal lock in less than 3 seconds compared to my 3G which took anywhere from 30 ~ 60 seconds to never lol

4. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

how does gps work exactly? how would an iphone 3g with no wifi, no 3g, and on tmobile network rather than at&t function? would gps work there? what if there was constant wifi, would turn-by turn nav work then? how about on an ipod touch with constant wifi? i dont feel like spending $40 on an app to go test it out myself. i know the iphone 3g has a gps chip built in, but does it need internet to work? cell towers?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, GPS doesnt need any data or celltowers to function. It will work fine the way it is.
    And with an ipod touch you dont get GPS and you cannot obviously be constantly connected to wifi while driving. So no turn by turn apps for Ipod touch.

6. y0umebednow macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G and 3GS have a built in GPS chip so you would not even need a sim card for the gps function to work. you just need a activated iphone. HOWEVER, the pre-installed Maps.app requires internet / wifi because it the maps aren't saved on the iphone and it needs to load them.

Apps such as Navigon and TomTom save the maps on your iPhone which is why you dont need internet for it to work. So just make sure that the gps app that you want does not require internet for it to work.

Ipod touch dont have a GPS chip and it uses wifi to triangulate your location, just like an iPhone 2G. So TomTom or Navigon would not work on either one

7. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

I am lead to believe that the Tom Tom is a one off payment for the APP of about £60 (or $60) give or take, however Tom Tom has recommended that you buy the iphone car docking device to "boost" the GPS strength as the stock GPS device installed on the idevice isn't strong enough to give you a precise location! Although I have the 3G which has known issues with the GPS and I do not know if the 3GS has the same issue!!

You could try a "free" version from Cydia called xGPS but i don't think it is as good as Tom Tom or simply use Maps app!!

8. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

with clear wimax, i actually can be connected 100% of the time in my city while driving. so its a valid question these days as wimax/3g modems become more popular.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As I said, I have used Navigon with my 3GS and with it laying on the car seat. Works just fine.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You said constant wifi.
    3G and carrier connections are different.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Jailbreaking has nothing to do with it. You will need to by navigation software from the App Store. Prices vary by location. The two big names are Navigon and TomTom. Either should work on a 3GS whether jailbroken or not.