Can you use Face ID to unlock the phone and Outlook without being obvious?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kat.hayes, Nov 10, 2017.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 65816

I use Outlook and have it set to Touch ID on my 7 as a requirement of using it with my work Exchange email. I need to check email at work while in meetings throughout the day while sitting amongst other people. How apparent is it to others when you use Face ID to unlock the phone and an app like Outlook? Is it possible to do this without it standing out too much?

Thanks.

2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Judging by the Face ID performance on store demo phone, I would argue there is zero chance you can unlock your device without actually holding your phone in front of your face and literally staring at it. One huge advantage that Face ID just cannot pass is the ability to unlock iPhone Blind, which is one thing I do love.

3. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I stressed out about this as well, in fact it was the main reason I did not want to buy an iPhone X.

Face ID will not unlock the phone laying flat on the table at a customary distance from your face in a meeting. Typing in a four digit passcode while the phone is lying flat on the table is the play.

Not ideal, but the convenience of the 90% of the time when you are not in a meeting that Face ID works so well you don’t even know it’s there, I find it’s well worth it.

4. DiveKitty, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

DiveKitty macrumors 6502

No. You most definitely do not have to hold your phone in front of your face and be "literally staring at it". I am not sure why unlocking "blind" matters as the whole point of unlocking is you plan to look at your phone at some point. You can already have swiped and started the "unlock process" before you look at it and as soon as you do...it is ready to go.

--- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    I have had my X since November 3, and Face ID really is quite seamless. I also use my phone during meetings and so on among other people. I can have my phone on table/desk, with my face at an angle (still within eyesight of True Depth camera, obviously) and have it unlock. I can have phone in my lap, and have it unlock. There is no need to bring it up to your face, and stare at it, and then unlock it. Just look at it...and sometime before that, at same time as that, or after that, swipe. It is honestly NO more obvious than any other method of unlocking your phone (and actually less obvious than a passcode, in my opinion).

Setting up your Face ID properly matters (don't do it too close to face, make sure to get all angles), and it also seems to "learn" over time to deal with small changes and adjustments.

5. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

In some angles yes, but definitely not when the phone is laying down the table and you are sitting near it. Face ID won’t recognize your face. I have tried it in demo phone and Face ID does not work in this scenario. Maybe, Op should move the phone closer to him but still, angle is the problem.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

That’s funny. When I run a meeting, laptops are closed and phones are faced down.
    If there is something more important that demands the invitees attention I urge them to tend to it.
    I can always find someone else that will give me and the team their undivided attention.

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I use Face ID many times a day in this exact scenario and it works fine. Sitting on my desk or an a table in a meeting, look down at an angle and swipe and its unlocked.

8. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

You are just wrong. Trying it in a demo phone a realistic life use does not make.

I can use Face ID just fine with the X laying flat on the table and sitting near it; it can recognize my face just fine. If OP has phone near him or her on table, as he or she likely will during a meeting and because he or she intends to actually be able to look at it, he or she can open it.

9. california_kid macrumors regular

Yes you can. First point off to the distance and go "oh look a baby wolf!" When everyone turns to look, discretely unlock your iPhone X.

10. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

It probably depends on your work area and the type of meeting. Many types of meetings require laptops be in use, or for people to have connectivity to people not in the meeting room in making decisions, or people work in positions that do require "physical attendance" at meetings all day while they still try and manage other aspects of their business/role during the day.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Very true.

Luckily I’ve work in cultures that embrace effective meetings philosophies.
    Sure there are critical issues, but then again if the org doesn’t have effective back ups to individual that introduces a self imposed risk.

I have walked out of 1:1 meetings with my boss if they answer texts or emails.
    I simply ask if they would appreciate if I was answering texts of emails.

Back to your point.
    If you open a mapping program and outlook use app switcher. When you leave outlook switch back to the mapping program and the phone will stay unlocked.

12. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Yes, I think doing that in a 1:1 meeting can be seen as rude; just like going on a date, and your date is texting or answering calls in the middle of dinner!

But there are definitely various types of meetings that involve, by nature, multitasking by the attendees, and it is actually for intent of making the meeting effective, not taking away from it. For example, meetings where the attendees are actually there as representatives for others, and those attendees need to take instructions from their clients or their principals (who are not there because in fact the attendees are their backups, or perhaps their representatives for other reasons) during the meeting. Everyone in the meeting is aware this is happening, and it is in fact expected, in order to keep things moving effectively. It really depends very much I think what sort of line of work and so on you are in, and what kind of meetings we are talking about.

And of course this is all very off topic so I shall move on now ;)

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

No argument.
    I love remote meetings. Especially when one of the attendees is at home, sporting a nice shirt or blouse but forgets they are wearing pajama bottoms. Very apparent when they leave the room they forget to turn their camera off.

14. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I’m sitting at my desk at home and literally just tried this. Held phone under edge of table, looked down at it, unlocked via Face ID and in MacRumors forum typing this. Phone held at lap level, would be about arms length if I was standing. Held at roughly a 45 degree angle I’d guess.

Not sure why this wouldn’t work in a conference room setting. And TBH...it’s 2017. If you work in a business that frowns on Tech use for productivity, better find a new job because that business will be dead soon.