Can you use Safari on Iphone to upload video/audio

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mathfantasia, May 2, 2010.

1. mathfantasia macrumors member

Or do I have to invent a browser app to do that ...
    Million dollar question (although I don't have a million dollars to give you).

I don't care if it's live video and audio ...

SO here are my three solutions:
    1) Hope Safari lets me do it
    2) Invent a combo upload/browser app (if this is the solution then I have a secondary question: Can I use the webkit core to program a browser? and of course Will it be as good as the original? (or is there a way to use XCode's generic browser app to help me?))

Confused but hopeful, please respond! :)

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Um, what's the third solution?

3. mathfantasia thread starter macrumors member

Sorry ... could count to 3 but couldn't subtract one when I smerged two of my solutions :)

4. mathfantasia thread starter macrumors member

Um... Let me restate the question ...

I want to upload audio from my iphone to Xanga ... The normal way on a computer is through the web browser (just an "upload" button and pick files on the computer). I want to be able to do this on my iphone. Is there an app that is a browser and lets you upload files from your iphone?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apps can only see files in their own area of the filesystem. Unless you target jailbroken only phones this is a limitation you have to work with: you can't browse the whole filesystem.

6. mathfantasia thread starter macrumors member

This is getting off topic ... but ...

Wouldn't it be possible for different apps to access the same website and thus getting around the need to access only your own space? Like a PhoneDrive.com or something (made up name) ... so you could upload video and audio and ppt and pdf and .html and other stuff to the same website ... (or perhaps more simply just use FTP protocol to be able to upload everything to a "cloud" hard drive ...)

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, sure. But I don't see why you'd want to use Safari for this: use NSURLConnection.

8. mathfantasia thread starter macrumors member

I was off topic sorry ...

I was hoping for a browser that could upload to xanga ... the other thought that every app have SFTP was a separate thought (though very useful if only it were possible lol) (though if the audio recorder that comes with the iPhone had SFTP my problem would be solved.)

A parallel problem that I'm working on is being able to make a safari "plugin" to record video (I'd use the words "flash-like" plug in but I'd probably be murdered by Apple ;) ) I guess I'd just have to create an app with an open upload scheme that records video (I'm guessing an app with SFTP would suffice) ... That way you could upload video to any website much like you could on your desktop.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, but the browser (Safari) can only see it's own files in it's own area of the filesystem to upload (or specific other things like the images on the device that Apple allow all apps access to). Of course I don't think Safari actually supports uploads. So you need to write your own custom app that uses NSURLConnection as I suggested before.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You can't add plugins to Safari on the iPhone.