Can you use someone else's upgrade if on the same plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeepstylexx, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jeepstylexx macrumors member

Looking to upgrade but i'm still under contract for another 14 months on my 4s, so i can't even early upgrade with Att. My aunt is on my plan and she is out of contract so can upgrade. She wants to keep her basic phone she uses. Can i use her upgrade ? or will the iphone only work with her phone number?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'm on AT&T, but that's how I upgrade every year. I'm just glad my wife's upgrade is on my off year.

3. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

So can you get a new phone at reg. price by using her upgrade and then using the phone with your existing number?

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Yup. I bought the phone for her line and just swapped the sims. Of course I had to call AT&T to activate it on my line, but it was no biggie.

5. jeepstylexx thread starter macrumors member

great. looks like i will get the 5 then! Thanks

6. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Yes, you can use any line's upgrade to buy your phone. Once it arrives, make sure to have ATT activate it on YOUR number, not the one it was ordered on.

The only loss will be for the persons line you used the upgrade on, it resets their edibility for another 2 year wait.

We have 15 or so business lines and just use what ever line has an upgrade when we need new phones.

Hope this helps.