Can you walk into a store and buy the iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RynoZebz, May 13, 2012.

1. RynoZebz macrumors regular

Hey guys! So I was messing around with my first gen 64gb iPad today and it occurred to me that I probably should sell and upgrade while my resell is sill decent. I was thinking of heading into the Apple Store or Best Buy tomorrow morning to see if I could get the new iPad.

Are these things pretty readily available? Or do you have to order them online? I'd rather just go get one tomorrow if possible. Just curious. I'd be looking for another 64gb model but I only want WiFi this time.

Thanks for the help!

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Tim apparently did a very good job of ensuring there are adequate supplies to go round. While certain models might not be available, in general, I think it is safe to assume that any computer hardware store noted for selling such stuff should have some in stock.

Anyway, what I would do is just give the shops a call first, before making a trip down. This way, you don't look like a fool shuttling amongst the various shops. :)

3. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

It would make more sense to check store availability on the Apple and Best Buy websites or just call.

4. Silken macrumors member

I should think that by now you should be able to go into the Apple store and pick one up. But as Abazigal has said, call ahead and check availability. This will save a wasted journey.

Good luck :)

5. davedvdy macrumors regular

Yeah, as mentioned on the Apple website, u can add one to your shopping cart, select the ship to store option and see which stores are showing availability.

6. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Walked into the store as recent as Monday and they were available

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I was in an Apple store Friday, and I saw one of their people bringing 4 iPads out of the backroom and passing them to sales for customers waiting.

8. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Sorry couldn't resist :D

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68020

JediZenMaster

The only place I know of that didn't have a lot was best buy. The local ones here only had the 64gb 4g model

10. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Don't believe the hype. Of course they're available. My God, investors and analysts would be seriously concerned if Apple wasn't able to stock its flagship product so long after launch. Temporary shortages = fine. Shortages almost two months after launch = articles in the press.

It's the thirdparty retailers you should phone first before driving there.

11. appleofmy"i" macrumors regular

appleofmy"i"

I just walked into my apple store yesterday and picked up a new iPad. They seem to be pretty readibly available. (Pittsburgh,PA)

12. SweetDove macrumors regular

I got mine a month ago no problem, I did call first, and they set it aside for me, and they only had black and no white, but that was fine for me.

13. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

Luck

It depends. If you want the most popular one (iPad 3 - White - 16gb - WiFi only) it will be hard. I got the last iPad 3 - White - 16gb - WiFi only at my Target. All the other iPad 3's were in stalk though.

Best Buy was sold out though.

So I guess it is luck.

14. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My local Apple Store (Christiana, DE) did not have any 32gb + 4g or 64gb + 4g iPads when I walked in 2 weeks ago, very low stock levels in all models. No sales tax here, so people in 3 border states come in to buy at this store.
    They won't let you order online and pick up at the store and they won't tell you exactly what they have in stock if you call first. If you call and ask for a certain model they will tell you not to bother coming in if they don't have it. They also told me to come in first thing in the morning as they still had lines some mornings.

I did walk into an ATT store that was well stocked, and bought one there.

15. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Doesn't always work. I live 2 hours from the nearest Apple Store. Twice I have called about a 32GB Wifi Black model and told it was in stock. When I got there, it was not. This must be the most popular color and model at this time. The 64GB was available. Our local Best Buy had two of the one I wanted. Target and Walmart also sell iPads, but have a more limited selection (at least around here).

16. Silken macrumors member

Ah I see, that's terrible. I have the 32gb in black and I think at launch most people went for this model. I take it you have one now?

17. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

It's hit or miss in my area,most targets and best buys are sold out. However if you order online after 10pm and do in store pick up you are 99% guaranteed to get o e the next day at the apple store

18. VFC macrumors 6502a

The MicroCenter near Philadelphia has plenty of each model. I bought a white 64gb wifi model a week ago and they still show 10+ in stock.

19. davidinva macrumors 6502a

No. Ordered one from a local Apple reseller and today they told me it would be 2 weeks. Apparently the same for the Apple Store.

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I purchased online and went to the Apple store and picked it up without issue 2 weeks ago.