Can your carrier see what sites you go to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tyranical, Aug 8, 2010.

1. tyranical macrumors regular

The reason I ask is, vodafone (my UK network) had this stupid content control on which blocks going to websites like flickr and some iphone forums for some reason, i've just called them and had it removed but it made me wonder if they could therefore see what sites I go on etc, so if I was to jailbreak it or something would they be able to see i'd been to jailbreakme.com and therefore know my warranty is effectively void?

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

They could know if they really wanted to but in reality, they have no interest in what you do. Everything you do on the net is traceable though.

3. Alfihar macrumors member

Yes they can see what sites you've visited.

As for how long they keep this data and whether the people dealing with warranties would even be allowed to see this kind of information, I would doubt very much that they could.

They wouldn't be able to tell what you are looking at if you use a VPN, or just use a WiFi connection. But really I wouldn't worry about that.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Whoever the provider is behind the WiFi connection even keeps track of where you've been on the net. It's why each computer/iPhone/ipad all have IPs on the net. It's how the record companies were able to go after people when they wanted to sue them for downloading pirated music.

5. tyranical thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, but my carrier aren't going to get in touch with my ISP and ask them if i've been to jailbreakme.com so if i do it on the wifi its all good.

Thanks for your help.

6. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

If you're worried about it, you can get a VPN. Read about it. You can then set up your iPhone so that all of your internet traffic goes through your VPN. Essentially, your traffic is encrypted and nobody but you, and possibly the VPN provider, can tell what's going to and from your device. VPNs are typically even less concerned about what you're doing on the net than ordinary ISPs.

7. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

They stopped doing that?

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I never said they did.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Actually, they are legally bound by the government to keep track of the things you access on the internet.

Which can be used against you, should you ever do something criminal, like cyber criminality, acts of terrorism etc.

Here in Europe, that kind of information is stored for a few years by the ISP and can be accessed by the request of the government.

10. pauliphone macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that in the UK at least the data is logged, however I don't think they are entitled to access or use the information unless either you give permission or there are certain circumstances such as police investigation etc.

They would not be allowed to pass information to apple that you have been to jailbreakme.com in order for them to void your warranty.

11. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

12. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

They can only see if u go into the store and look it up, when they check your data usage I think they can also see the sites. But other than that why would they care.

13. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

Well you said it in the past tense so I was wondering if I missed some news or something. :D

14. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48