Canada Includes US, Israel Among Torturers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jan 19, 2008.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7198435.stm
    Priceless, and so very true. Isn't it a coincidence that Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Syria are all US subcontractors in the torture business, too? If only they had included Pakistan, Egypt, Poland and Romania, they'd have named them all.

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think this story broke Thursday and Moyers was able to run a story on it last night (before the apologizing took place). I think Canada was right to put us on the list, and just removing the name will probably not change their perception.

We are going to have to spend a great deal of time, winning back the respect of foreign countries, including many of our best friends. That is assuming we sweep the Bush filth into the Potomac.

3. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Why should anyone apologize? It's the truth, and should be more widely discussed as such.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

We Canadians aren't really in a place to judge when our top brass is repeatedly and willingly rendering Afghanis, and when our federal government sells out our own citizens to U.S. rendition like Arar. We love to play the gentle accuser, the morally outraged, the high-horse-having peace-loving blue-helmet wearing voice of reason, but we'd be just as bad if we had the money or the power.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bingo, Im pissed off as can be that we had a party take over our govt and throw away everything we stood for. Torture in America, the Republican party wont be getting any votes from me this decade.Draft dodging Morons with $$$ ruining our govt. America now on the torture list. Mindless republicans pretending they are christians.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I sense your anger and frustration. It echos my own. What is even more disturbing, we are only learning about the criminal actions of the past 7 years. We have to eradicate all of the sources, which have stolen America.

7. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Do you think any of that will change under Hillary Clinton? The only top candidate out there besides Obama that has voiced opposition to torture is John McCain.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Opposition to torture is like 1 of 10,000 problems we have in this Country. McCain sits on the wrong side of most of them, starting with the war in the Middle-East. He is on record supporting military action against Iran, Pakistan, and only leaving Iraq when they have an NFL franchise.

Over the years, I have like John. But, he has sold far too much to sit in the 'big chair'.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Actually, that can probably be safely said of any hegemonic country.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Absolutely, but the high-hat arrogance that poooours out of my home country is thick and syrupy with the shame of lies.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's worse for him, he used to be a Republican. His own party let him down. I'm angry for temporarily supporting Bush after 9/11, I can't imagine how people like DHM feel.

It better. If it doesn't, you better believe we're going to be just as angry. Probably more so, because she's running on the platform against that, and if we have to vote for her to not get another 4-8 years of the current mess(es) she better live up to it. See above.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Wow. I didn't know that. I never found myself in support of the man, rather I remember thinking for a moment that he would do the right thing. And, for about a minute he did.

And, then he didn't.

For 7 years.

13. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I went to school in Vancouver and got much the same impression... many of the people I know when the conservatives were given confidence in the 06 election stopped jibing me about being American after that, though.

14. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You know you hit pretty close to the mark when you get that kind of reaction from the aggreived party.

Sorta like how you know you're pretty close to the mark when Apple sics their lawyers on you to remove some pictures you're not supposed to have from you site...

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was watching some news show and one of the commenters pointed out that it didn't matter what we did to try and get off that list, the damage was done even before this came out and the rest of the world knows it. The more we try to stop it and make a big deal about them removing us, the worse we look too. It was telling that one of our closest allies actually had to point it out though.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The date of this "leak" is curiously close to some new reports of continued Afghan abuse of Canadian detainees. It's no suprise to me that the Canadian government is using the convenience of our allies' miss-steps -- however monumental and important they may be -- to distract from our own swept-under-the-rug abuses. They're not "pointing it out" so much as they're pointing in the other direction in the hopes that heads turn, to save their own from rolling.