Canada is having an election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by snberk103, Mar 25, 2011.

1. snberk103 macrumors 603

In case anyone cares.... Canadian Government fell today, and we will be going to the polls in about 5 weeks.

Sorry for intruding, eh?

Link

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Seems like a waste of money. Not much will change from this, except perhaps finally having a majority government for the first time in 5 years.

This is what I get for being half-Canadian, and living in an area with the CBC on Cable.

TEG

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

4. snberk103 thread starter macrumors 603

Au Contraire! (or something)....

Several senior Conservative MPs have already announced their not running again (including a couple of Ministers), as have some NDPers and Liberals. Even if the House looks the same after the elections the power people are going to be different.

If Harper doesn't get a majority, then I believe he will be removed by the Party. If the Tories can't get a majority with their lead in the polls, the Party is going to be looking for a scapegoat...and Harper is it.

If the Liberals don't win even a minority government, Ignatieff will be invited to leave, I believe. So - regardless of the outcome, someone is leaving.

I think Layton is going to resign soon after the election. Too many health issues, and it's time for new blood there as well. He is the best thing going for the NDP, so he will lead them into the next Parliament and then start a smooth transition to a new leader.

Duceppe. Don't know. Doesn't really matter. But I suspect he's staying on.

I think Harper is vulnerable this election cycle. Too many shady dealings lately that are sticking. In BC, before the election was even called, there are two Tory constituency nomination processes (that I know of) that might be thrown into confusion by lawsuits over the way the Tories nominated their candidate. Basically, it was a cooked process that didn't even give the appearance of being open to the general membership. Doesn't matter if they were or not - but the local press is picking up on it and it doesn't make the ethics issue in Ottawa look any better.

So, we'll see.

I predict that stupid things will be said.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

6. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

7. snberk103 thread starter macrumors 603

I wonder if they can send the GG instead?

Or, I wonder if they'll take a GoC jet over and back. After all, it's only one day and being seen with the Royals might be worth a few votes.

If Harper scheduled his campaign appearances carefully, he could be in St Johns on the 28th. He could then fly overnight to London in about the same time as flying to Regina, and faster than Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, or Victoria. Do the wedding. Get the photo-op. Back on the plane late that evening and fly back to Charlottetown or Halifax over night, and be back flipping babies and kissing pancakes on the 30th.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think that the GG is a given, regardless, as the Queen's representative in Canada.

As for the rest, humourous, and probably do-able. ;)

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

another couple of hundred million dollars well spent :cool:

10. snberk103 thread starter macrumors 603

Democracy is expensive. Dictatorships are efficient.

Was it SWC who said that democracies are the worst kind of government, except for all the others? :)

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

What do you mean "the Government fell"? :eek:

So, anarchy? ;)

LOL...

12. snberk103 thread starter macrumors 603

You know, the janitorial staff kept telling the PM that the old carpet had to go. It had holes in it, that could trip someone.... Ironically it was the PM that fell, so he had a hissy fit and called an election. :)

Democracy has nothing to do with jobs or not. We get to vote in a new government, or we get to vote in the old government again.

Those countries in the middle east that in the throes of public protest are 1) dictatorships 2) have masses of people willing to die for democratic rights, and 3) have 2 to 5 times more people unemployed than Canada.

I'm not saying that what we have in Canada is perfect. But we do have a functioning democracy (bruised as it is lately). I like living in a Country where pepper spraying a protester is considered a massive breach of human rights. Relative to many many other countries, we have it good here.

13. jtimleck macrumors newbie

of course you could have democracy U.S. of A StylZ - all fightin' about budgets, pork-barrelin' but sayin' not so, having a war and not keeping it on 'the books', and now threatenin' to close down yer services....

or, when you find out your government has been screwing you over, lying about the budget and the expenses its incurred, you can THROW THE BASTERDS out. :D See ya Stephen. Oh, I know you'll be back but with no power :p

14. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

15. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I'm predicting either a minority around the same amount of seats for Conservatives as now or a very slight majority.

I also have a feeling this could be the final mandate for Harper (hopefully).

I wish we had better politicians, but asking for better politicians is asking for too much.

16. macdim macrumors 6502

I'm hoping for a conservative majority. Minority governments in Canada are useless.

The Canadian economy is relatively good right now and the last thing we need is to go to the polls. Ignatieff thinks he has a chance? What a joke. No opposition party has a chance at even the smallest minority government.

A vote for anyone but the conservatives at this point is, sadly, a vote for a coalition that would put a separatist party in a position of more power than the party that won the election. I'm sure the West will be all over that :rolleyes:

Think long and hard before you vote, which I hope you will.

17. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

As a Quebecer, my sworn duty is to vote Bloc yet again. What a waste of taxpayer money. These politicians are so detached from reality it's not even funny anymore. They have their little clique stories and in-fights going on while the country just sits there and watches its tax money burn instead of going back to the people in services/infrastructure.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How does Bloc Ontario sound to you?

I have lately been thinking of Ontario joining Quebec in separating from "Canada".

They can move Parliament to Winterpeg. Serves them right.

"We" would make a formidable country, no? ;)

I might even be persuaded to pick-up my Grade 9 French again. :D

19. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Considering Quebec and Ontario are Canada (more than half of it and basically the biggest part of its economy bar petroleum), it would be more akin to kicking all the other provinces out. ;)

But seriously, the Quebec/Canada problem is a cultural one, Quebec is just too different and doesn't quite "fit in" with the rest of the country. We have our very own identity, culture and we want to hold on to it, while the rest of the country pretty much despises us for it.

On the Harley Davidson board I hang out, a lot of the anglo-canadians just bitch at me for purely being a Quebecer. The stigma still exists that we are inferior and to be looked down upon. Of course not all Canadians think like that, but it's still a reality.

A Quebec-Ontario union wouldn't work based on this history because it would leave us in the same boat as we were before. Though at this point I doubt we will ever see a day where Quebec separates, I also don't doubt we're very far away from having Quebec ratify the Canadian constitution.

Don't forget, we still haven't been included into that, following Meech and Charlottetown. For even a Liberal to go so far as to say "No matter what anyone says and no matter what anyone does, Quebec is, today and forever, a distinct society, free and capable of assuming its destiny and development." (Robert Bourassa, Liberal PM) you know something is definitely wrong.

20. snberk103 thread starter macrumors 603

You do know that the only politicians talking about a coalition now are the Tories? That Iggy has categorically stated that the party who wins the most seats gets to form the government? That in 2004 & 2005 Harper - as opposition leader - was trying to form a coalition (i.e. "Coalitions" are only "illegitimate" when the Tories aren't doing it). (There is a letter signed by Harper asking the NDP and the Bloc to join with the Tories)

You also know, of course, that coalitions are a longstanding, historically important and legitimate process in Parliamentary systems, and it's only been lately that the Tories have managed to demonize the term (partially with our tax money, incidentally) to take a very Canadian feature - the compromise - and turned it into something else.

I don't think the "...rest of the country pretty much despises [Quebec] ..." There are always idiots who are going to denigrate a minority. Don't let the idiots speak for the rest of us. Please.

It is difficult, however, to politically accept a province that has elected a separatist party to Ottawa for - how many years/decades now? How do you have a conversation about bringing a member of the family back when the people who doing the talking can only talk about leaving? But I see that as part of Quebec's distinct culture. :)

21. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I seem to have mentionned that bit already in my post, if you had decided to not snip it from your quote. The problem does exist still and while it may not be all Canadians, there's still a sizeable portion of the anglo population that doesn't quite think we belong, yet doesn't want to lose our natural ressources and economically rich geography.

To sweep it all under the rug at this point just doesn't work anymore. We tried that before and it just pissed us off more.

That's because you don't remember what led to the Bloc Quebecois in the first place. ;)

First and foremost, the Bloc isn't a seperatist party. That's just some of the crap the anglos throw at us for electing them. It's very much a federalist party trying to get the federal government to respect the needs and rights of the Quebecers (HST ? Come on, Quebec was the first to sign on in the 90s and we'll be the last to get it and its benefits if we do ever get it). The truth is, the Federal government most always just uses Quebec as an election card. We get a few candy here and there close to election time and that's it.

Next, the Bloc was created and put into place after the failed Meech accord. Remember who made that fail ? Not Quebec, we actually voted for it. It was again the anglo portions of Canada who refused us based again on the cultural divide rather than on political/economical criterias. When the political parties tried to fix the situation with Charlottetown, we had had enough.

If it wasn't for Jean Chretien's liberals cheating (and yes, they broke referendum law as far as budgets go, and sped up immigration requests in Quebec to get "NO" voters eligible to vote) the referendum in 1995, we'd be separated out of anger for the whole Meech affair.

So yes, we did the next best thing we could, we got ourselves a party to get the respect we deserve in Ottawa. It has nothing to do with seperating, that we can do on our own outside of the Federal government. Don't see the Bloc as a separatist party, see them as a way of making sure the deputies we elect are in Ottawa representing our best interest, like every deputies of any party should do. The problem is we can't be sure Jack Layton's or Igniatief's or Harper's party line jives with our needs/culture and as such, we elect people that have a vested interest in the province.

22. macdim macrumors 6502

I agree that the way Harper is accusing the opposition parties about a coalition is hipocritical. But I also think that if there were any chance that a coalition that includes the Bloc could happen, we would have far more problems than we do now. I care a great deal about avoiding Bloc power/influence in Parliament. Iggy only recently (in the last day!) stated clearly that a coalition is not on the table. He dodged questions left and right about his intentions to form a coalition. Why?

Also, now that Iggy made his statement on this matter, aren't we just headed for another Conservative minority? Why the election in the first place? For a couple of concessions in the budget? Seems pointless to me.

One last thing. As much as I hate the Bloc because of what they stand for, I also respect the Bloc, and wish my province had a party that stood up for it like Quebec does. While the rest of Canada loses its identity, Quebec gets to keep hers.

23. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I wish people would stop whining about how "unnecessary" and "unwanted" this election is. Don't like elections? Move to Libya. You'll never have to worry about another "unnecessary and unwanted" election again.

I for one would rather have 7 elections in 4 years than 0 elections in 30 years... but maybe I'm just weird like that. :rolleyes:

24. macdim macrumors 6502

Is that the alternative we're asking for? Next time exaggerate a little more why don't you.

25. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I think we're lucky to have had Harper over the last few years, he's an economist and he's certainly helped us come out of the recession well (not saying it was all Harper, but it didn't hurt). Personally I'm hoping for a Conservative Majority - dare to dream right?