Canada just officially passed its law to legalize weed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jun 19, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Canada is often ahead of the curve and this is one of those times. All they need now is Trudeau's signature and Royal Assent. Each province will apparently have their own process and rules. Not a lot of free enterprise, overall but a few of the provinces certainly have the right idea.

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/7xmjgg/canada-just-officially-passed-its-law-to-legalize-weed

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hopefully the tax money is used for something good.

3. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Hopefully, it will be taxed like homegrown tomatoes.

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

It’s time to legalize all drugs as prohibition only causes addiction. By legalizing and controlling you reduce addiction.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

6. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Also organized crime.

7. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Not sure but legalizing all hard and soft drugs will reduce addiction.

8. Zenithal macrumors G3

Jeff Sessions is going to be pissed. Read something about May's government deciding on to legalize it. Might help since she's apparently stiff as a board.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

The legal status of drugs does not make a drug more or less addictive. It’s intrinsic pharmacological properties and the individual determines if a drug is addictive and to what extent.

I have trouble believing legalizing recreational opioids would do anything to reduce our opioid epidemic. I think the root of our opioid epidemic was not only over prescribing, but also an existential societal problem. Harder drugs for the most part are not only inherently more dangerous (ie risk of overdose), but almost always result in increased criminal activity (ie stealing to afford more) due to their incredibly strong addictive properties.

Legalizing marijuana will reduce crime, and probably help reduce gang activity and violence. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see unforeseen consequences/externalities.

Personally I think its silly to have marijuana criminalized. People’s life should not ruined over possession or growing. Dealing is a little more of gray area especially if youth are involved. I also believe medical marijuana should be available- though I think we need a lot of work around how patients receive the best treatment by qualified healthcare providers.

It’s recreational marijuana I have some issues with for numerous reasons, as many here know. That said, I’m not going to ignore the likehood it will be widely legalized for recreational use eventually. In that sense, I feel it is vital that rather than going with the “just say no” mantra recreational use, that consumers (especially teens) are aware of the risks and concerns associated with marijuana use.

Pro-pot fanatics say big-pharmacy has been the barrier to MJ legalization, but I don’t think people should underestimate the MJ-lobby. Pro Pot people say MJ has no risks. The anti fanatics overstate the risks- a regrettable issue historically. I think a balanced analaysis of MJ risks is lacking in the general conversation. As a PharmD I can say with every substance, there are benefits and risks, and these factors can vary depending on individual factors (disease states, age, etc). My ultimate concerns of recreational MJ are not that of moral issues, but that general concern for the public’s health.

Personally, I would like to see MJ decriminalized, medically available, yet not presented in a way that it’s recreational use is encouraged as risk-free, especially for teens and young adults who would presumably most negatively affected by excessive use.

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I bet now there will be home invasions because you illegally growing it yourself! They want your taxes because they need their gold plated car rims! :rolleyes:

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’m all for cannabis oil being legalised for the health benefits it possesses but I do think if the smoking form is legalised then it should carry a high tax like we see with tobacco. I would then want this tax money to be fed into the health system to offset the extra strain introducing drugs will have when accessible to the mainstream public. I would also suggest only licensed sources could sell it and keep the criminal penalties for growing it yourself the same as they currently are.

I’m really only looking at this from my own countries perspective so this doesn’t apply to Canada who can do as they wish.

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

So in procedural terms Bill C-45 is now passed through the senate but still requires royal assent to become law. So there's going to be a bit of a lag between now and actually getting it implemented (I heard on the news they were talking September.... hopefully during frosh week so the kids can get it out of their system when classes begin :) ). The question of externalities and other societal impacts Bill C-46 for example takes direct aim at impaired driving issues that may arise. There's also lots of differences between each province and territory on how they set the rules for cultivation, distribution and sales.... luckily the federal laws usually supersede any provincial laws but I'm sure legal challenges will arise.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah cause that's worked wonders for opioids. That's what we need, make it easier to get them, like gummy bears.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2018 ---
    How exactly are they going to determine if someone is baked while driving?

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Tax it like any other drug or alcohol. CBD oil doesn't do anything for me either externally or internally. Sometimes you need both the THC, and the instant benefits provided from smoking it.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

wait until everyone sees the gov prices... organized crime just got the green light to charge even more.

probably $500/oz

16. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Hahahah. That's a good one :-D You're talking about the British government here!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2018 ---
    But, Portugal.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Yep, well aware what they are like.

18. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Another way in which Elf Sessions has moved the clocks back. Being tough on marijuana is a component of his racism. Not surprising a guy refused the job over racism found redemption in Drump’s kooky cabinet.

It’s not a question of if, but when pot will be legal at the federal level. Sessions is just a setback of time, not the end goal.

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Based on?

20. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

That's not the way black markets work. They undercut legitimate businesses, as we've seen in California and other places with their over taxed weed.

21. A.Goldberg, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I would argue Portugal has a different culture than we do, not to mention a different opioid problem specifically. That said, there’s been a lot of analysis suggesting that Portugal’s claims of addiction reduction are overstated. I read one study that said while some drug use rates went down, others went up or stayed the same.

https://www.vox.com/2015/6/19/8812263/portugal-drug-decriminalization

I think the more important factor is that rather than punishing people they are putting them into treatment. America is servely lacking when it comes to funding addiction treatment. Also, Portugal pushed opioid replacement therapy programs and needle exchanges (which are probably the most important factor in reducing communicable diseases). Some states and communities still refuse to allow needle exchanges despite their numerous benefits.

Portugal also decriminalized heroin possession under 1 gram, which really isn’t much heroin at all. That’s a pretty average (if not on the low end) daily amount for a heroin addict.

So in summation I doubt many of Portugal’s proclaimed benefits have to so much with decriminalizarion as they do substituting legal punishments for treatments. As I’ve mentioned many times on this forum, I think drug addicts should not face legal repercussion for simple possession, but rather be sent to treatment to actually try and solve the problem.

22. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Do people actually believe this ???

23. Videomanmac Suspended

Videomanmac

Terrible move by Canada! Weed should be kept as a controlled substance!

24. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Yeah let's keep the status quo because that's worked out so well for the last 50+ yrs. :rolleyes:

25. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

*SO* misinformed. Canada = where the US will be in 15 years.