Canada vs. U.S, what's in it for the citizens?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Creative One, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

What I don't understand is why so many Americans think Canada sucks so bad, and that the U.S is just the best. So I was just wondering, what makes the U.S so much better? I want to know your thoughts.

The first thing that comes to mind is that Canada gets free healthcare.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Um, there is no such thing as free health care. High taxes pay for it.

3. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Who in the US is insulting Canada? You know that the movie Canadian Bacon was a joke, right? They didn't really believe Canada a nefarious neighbor. ;)

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Who hates Canada?

As for what we have better, military.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We even welcomed Celine Dion and Brian Adams with open arms. The way I see it, those hosers up north owe us big time.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

And Canada gives us crap beer. Labat(SP) Blue, Moosehead..... oh lord. :D

But it is a truck load of tainted beer,,, but it is a truck load of beer! Aye

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, maybe Bryan Adams. Celine Dion, after that Titanic song, whoo, I dunno. :(

9. No1451 macrumors 6502

Budget brands? If you drink that you have other issues buddy;)

I've spent a bit of time in both Canada and the US and I can't really say that it feels all that different, aside from some of the govn programs and such, meh, it's kind of a wash.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I love Canada. I would like to retire there someday. I think it's an awesome place. The people are great, the cities are clean. There isn't much not to like.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They have Tim Hortons. If we're nice to them, maybe they'll open up more Timmy's in the US.

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't have a problem with Canada. I really enjoy Vancouver.

Celine Dion pissed me off, though. That's a nukable offense right there.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

+1

Look at their Navy.

[​IMG]

:p

14. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I've never heard an American seriously say they dislike Canada. I make fun of Canadians whenever the topic arises (as any gentelmen should), but i would love to live up there. The whole country just seems nicer than the US.

15. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Canadians ... with their little beady eyes and their big flapping heads. :D

16. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The majority in Canada HOPE Obama "de-Bushes' USA FAST.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've never heard anybody around me bumrap Canada. I've travelled through parts of it a good bit, and enjoyed it. Not a lot of difference between the people I met up there and the folks around me here at home.

Heck, in a lot of ways, western Canada is a lot like Texas--just colder. Since I don't like cold weather, I'm happy down here in my desert.

18. Creative One thread starter macrumors 6502

Creative One

Okay, I'm sorry to word it that way that ALL americans hate Canada, as it seems alot of you like it. But ill share A little thing that just got me kinda ticked off at some.

So I'm at work, doing my job and some tourists arrive from the U.S. They say I need to help them with the change because they have no clue with our apparent "monopoly coins" are (when its clearly printed on them), but either way thats still understandable. What just made me face palm was when they said we must be so lucky this week! Whenever we go to a restaurant, on our way out we always find these toonies ($2 coin) on tables! I stayed calm but in my head... wow I was just saying are you retarded? Thats peoples TIP.

Anyways, just wanted to share my little experience with a couple from Texas.

19. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Uh... no you don't... your healthcare is by no means free... it is paid for by high burdensome taxes on Canadians.... worse, based on the number of Canadians I see coming down here to United States for surgery treatments, your healthcare up north must be real bad and rationed.... Other than that I see nothing wrong with Canada... large resource rich nation with great people... but it is sad your health care program is such a problem... we're trying to avoid that down here in the states!

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I want to know who makes the best maple syrup.

21. No1451 macrumors 6502

You don't live here, keep your commentary and speculation to yourself, it's by no means perfect but a lot of people are very appreciative for the healthcare. There are some issues with wait times(can't lie on that count, people DO wait), but life/death situations are pushed to the fore, and if someone doesn't want to wait, let them go and spend their dime, less burden on the system.

The biggest reason we rock:
    We know how to spell colour, favour, labour and cheque!:p

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its better than Bud Light :p.

They just sound like people who've never travelled before, and who for some reason think US money is "superior".

Yeah, they sound pretty stupid, don't people leave coins on the tables for tips in the US?

Its not as if people don't wait in the US too...

True.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I haven't come across any Americans that truly dislike Canada. Most that I've encountered are either indifferent or jealous.

When I've gone I found it to be a remarkably clean and friendly place.

Webbers - As for the obnoxious tourists, I know you probably get those a lot. :eek: I drove up from Washington state with a few friends and we probably made asses of ourselves. :eek: I won't elaborate though because it was a very strange trip. I'll just say for how flippant we may have seemed about it all, every one of us thought it was an awesome place - even if we were confused a little about the money and metric system.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I certainly have done the same from time to time :eek:. These tourists do seem to be particularly silly.