Canadian Legion member wears KKK outfit with slave at halloween party!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Nov 2, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

cliffs
    1. Rural part of Canada
    2. Canadian legion holds party at a bar
    3. man dressed as KKK with racist southern flag
    4. another man with black face paint pretending to be slave tied with a rope.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/11/02/15918761.html

CAMPBELLFORD, Ont. — The presence of a man dressed in a white Ku Klux Klan robe and hood at a Campbellford Legion Halloween party Saturday night set off a tide of outrage that has reached the Royal Canadian Legion Dominion Command.

The man in the KKK costume, who also had a Confederate flag attached to his back, was with another man, his features darkened in full blackface. The second man wore a red and black checkered shirt and jeans and had string tied to his arm. The guest in the KKK costume led the man in blackface around by the string, said Rubbs Restaurant owner Mark Andrade, who went to the Campbellford Legion at about 11:30 p.m. to have a drink.

[​IMG]

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Thank god it's not the U.S. again. Truly ignorant people. Only in Canada would they think a black man would wear a lumberjack shirt. (I kid).

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

What goes through ones head to do this? I sure as hell don't get it.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

:eek:

I'm wondering why someone would do this in Canada. Was it in support of such things or was he poking fun at the US in a very tasteless manner?

5. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I never understood why people got mad about these types of things. I dress up as all sorts of things on Halloween, and doing so certainly never equates to somehow validating or supporting the thing or individual you're dressing up as. If I dress up as a NAZI, it doesn't mean I advocate the extermination of the jews. If I dress up as a Mummy it doesn't mean I give money to the restoration of the Egyptian pyramids. If I dress up as a dog catcher it doesn't mean I send money to the to the Humane Society.

In fact, often times the things you dress up as are things you're wanting to make fun of. How do you know he wasn't walking around all night in that outfit with a heavy southern drawl and making idiotic comments somehow indicating that all KKK members were backwards hicks with no brains?

People need to quit being so damn worried about political correctness and just LIVE already!

6. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

i take it you dont live in canada?

if you dont live in the big cities like Toronto, Montreal or vancouver, the rest of canada is no different than the south...

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unless there is a Chicago, Illinois in Canada, I probably don't live there. ;)

See my location. :)

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Tasteless idiots live everywhere.

Haha! Too true! :)

Unfortunately, too little.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Is it just me, or does the guy in black face look like a charred pig?

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

11. Queso macrumors G4

Am I the only one more worried about the blond-wigged man in the kilt?

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This, I pray, but maybe there was a prize. :rolleyes:

A long stretch there, but I do know of a few "towns" with very few people of "colour".

Probably. Did you flinch?

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Haha, that's awesome.

I saw some interesting costumes in New Orleans this weekend but that one would take the cake.

Granted if someone wore that outfit in New Orleans they'd probably be dead.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

generally there's no reason to worry about blond-wigged men in kilts, but there is indeed something a bit askew with that guy

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not your type, huh? :D

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Campbellford is a part of one of the counties my family is from. It's every bit as racist and backwards as you'd find in the worst places in the first world.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

18. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I find that highly offensive.....the costume was in bad taste, I mean c'mon couldn't he find a real black man to make the costume more authentic looking? The right accessories are ALWAYS important!:rolleyes:

19. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Three moments in US history; the flag, slaves and KKK.

Mere costumes. I have seen people dressed up as gestapo, red coats, hitler, napolean and other historical characters.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep, another town of significance in that area is Peterborough. And being a university town does not make it any better.

Too bad I'm addicted to Empire cheese, made in Campbellford. :eek:

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

ha

1. The confederate flag is not inherently "racist."
    2. What about people who dress as Imperial Storm Troopers? It is rather fun to assume that they do in fact support the Sith empire and can't wait for Lukes dad to cut his hand off with a magic sword!
    3. The guy with the black face looks ridiculous, like he caught on fire or something haha

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He was probably barbecuing. The shirt is a give-away, when the Q is outside.

Charcoal + too much lighter fluid = second degree burns. :p

Does he still have eyebrows?

23. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

The Historical inconsistencies of the costume theme are appalling. The KKK did not start until after the civil war ended and slavery was abolished....stupid Canadians can't get anything right.;)