Canadian Mother will broadcast her natural childbirth online

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacDawg, Sep 30, 2011.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Canadian Mother will broadcast her natural childbirth online

Are YOU gonna watch??

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

When I was pregnant with my son, my daughter and I (she was 9 at the time) would watch a weekly show about natural childbirth. (I can't remember the name of it now.) It was very graphic, but tasteful, and meant to portray reality as much as possible. And even here in the US 10 years ago, it was shocking! Now, it wasn't live, and I'm sure that when things went wrong they were edited out as were scenes that may have been TOO graphic. But thinking back, I don't think they edited out all that much.

I appreciate people who are willing to do this really. I think that partially because of this my daughter was able to go through the whole process of my son's birth with me. And now she is not in the dark about what will happen when she has her own children. And I have to add here - she still wants to have them!

I didn't before, nor do I now have any desire to watch this stuff. However, when I was pregnant and about to go through it, it was strangely comforting. It's certainly not for everyone.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've seen this before and it's...unsettling to say the least. But hey, if someone wants to watch it and somebody's willing to do it, go for it.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I thought babies came from storks and/or the cabbage patch??? :confused::confused::confused:

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I once watched a birth on TV (on TLC or something) many years ago, as an adult. Even though I know exactly what goes on during a birth, I felt genuinely traumatized by watching it. It bothered me immensely, and I had no idea that it would bother me at all.

I'm thankful my wife had a C-section with our son. That didn't bother me at all.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've seen a live birth and one on tape. I've also seen live surgeries on tape. Doesn't bother me.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, of course not, silly person. That cabbage patch thing is just a conspiracy theory to hide the truth - it's those beauty storks. Who needs to watch a video of that?? :p :rolleyes:

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Speaking as a man, some things are best left unseen. :eek:

Would you risk future erections, due to the vision of a live birth still in your head?

Shrink may have a different opinion, as this kind of stuff is his stock in trade. :p

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Good for her. If you don't want to watch, then don't. I don't see the controversy.

Speaking as a man, this isn't one of those things that are best unseen.

I witnessed and even assisted when my son was born. Oh, and I cut the cord.

My erections since that day have been plentiful and long-lasting.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Listen, if you think it's going to take the lead out of you pencil (BIG pencil, I'm sure) - then definitely don't watch it. ;) :p

Men who have attended the birth of their own children usually describe it as a fantastic experience.

Having seen videos myself, it ain't like the movies - all neat and clean and all. It's about as primal as it gets. But it's also part of all our lives (although I admit to be a little blurry about my own birth:p)

As far as watching it goes - no reason to do it if it's going to freak you out. But if you can - it's a pretty amazing event. Don't think it will do any permanent harm to anyone. (Well, iJohn may be the exception :rolleyes: :D)

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I don't see any controversy either but wow. Who would want to watch it ?

:eek:

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Lots of people, for lots of different reasons. It is a remarkable human event - but definitely not required viewing. ;)

13. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

My First Reaction: "WHY!!!????? This is not something new to human beings."

^ After your reply:

This is not just a remarkable human event ... well not my words ... but HUMBLING! no matter what human beings have accomplished, no matter how technologically advanced we are ... the MIRACLE of having a child, from conception to cell splitting, to self breathing, the travelling from the birth canal, to the first breath of air, and that cut of the umbillical chord ....

Humbling!

nothing in this world can make a woman feel like a goddess, a man feel like the biggest weakling while still feeling like the heavens above have blessed him ... nothing compares.

I honestly believe this is one of those moments in life that MUST be cherished by those that can have children, and those that cannot (same sex couples, infertility, etc whatever the reason) to visit this in person ... this is not to be cheapened with television or for media consumption. Local TV stations, when the chance arise to show a birth on the road live, will have decency NOT to. Students in training may need to see this ... but this miracle ... should be kept as that.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The best is yet to come...

In the future, babies will film* their own birth.

* "Reconstructed memories", transferred from the baby's cerebrum shortly after birth, reformatted into a variety of popular HD digital video formats.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Your point is well taken. :)

While I would almost always agree that TV and other media cheapen and debase everything they touch, I'm not sure that this both everyday and, at the same time unique, event can be anything but remarkable to watch.

Perhaps HOW it is presented might make a significant difference.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You mean if the kid has a Nike logo on the top of their head??

I could watch a Caesarian, or a fully natural childbirth, but if a scalpel comes into view during the latter, I'm heading for the floor.

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

^ How it is presented indeed will have an important effect on the idea and on those wanting to watch. I didn't think of that and this is why I love rebuttal on these boards, thank you.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

De nada...:)

Really liked your Profile Biography. Stay with the attitude...:D

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The kids in the school yard will have a field day with this when the kid goes to school.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Could do worse - the poor little buggers could be watching The Sound of Music :eek: :rolleyes:

21. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

22. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Yeah, unfortunately. That might be the one reason not to do it really - 'cause it's technically not just about you (the mother/parents). You have to think of the kid, and at birth is a good place to start a good habit like that ;)

Otherwise, yeah, go for it. I don't know if I would watch; like Shrink said, it may be a natural childbirth filmed live/in real time, but that doesn't mean it won't be 'directed' - as in, that it won't be filmed etc in a way that tells the story the parents, mom, or whoever wants to tell. And sometimes, the story they want to tell is that it's all full of gore, pain, and horror etc etc. In which case, I'll spare myself the freakout and not watch.

But as part of a documentary (on babies, from a sociological/social issues perspective - amazing piece, full of humanity and uplifting even when it was discussing horrible stuff like abandonment) there was a small piece with a young woman giving birth (dunno if it was the full-on no meds kind of natural, but it was certainly a regular vaginal birth, not a cesarean or a breech-birth or anything), and because it was filmed without an ounce of sensationalism or agenda-pushing, and both the doctor and the midwives were just lovely, seemed very supportive, the whole thing was just...really, really nice. Bloody, and sweaty, and weepy, and screamy, and intense, but still, lovely.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't mind this at all.

You can see surgeries on TV already, and it's something I'm willing to watch. How is this any different? :confused:

I regularly watch a show called "Embarrassing Bodies", which is a health show where real people who are embarrassed about their health issue, finally go to see a doctor about their health issue. They regularly show things like cysts being removed from testicles, heads, skin infections where the flesh is essentially rotting away, etc.

Childbirth isn't embarrassing. I'm interested in seeing it, even if it makes me a bit uncomfortable at first.

24. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't see what the big deal is. Also, am I the only one who has see this in highschool sex ed class?

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Money, fame and mild controversy.