Canadian PM to set election for Oct. 14th

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Iscariot, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

That's October 14th, 2008, not 2009. Take some notes, America!

CBC

(Seriously though, I'm interested in hearing thoughts on the actual topic)

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I wish we had that. The last 8 years could have been much better.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Ditto. Good old Gordon and Co. are currently busy infighting and thereby causing the Pound to plummet further against both the Euro and the Dollar. The sooner they go the better.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Opinions??

It's not up to Harper. Too bad if he is in a minority position, but unless there is a vote for non-confidence he cannot just willy-nilly ask the GG to dissolve Parliament.

At least I hope so.

We shall see if she has the cajones to rebuff him.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Hopefully this doesn't work out in Harpers favor. I'll be keeping an eye on the news.

6. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Breaking his own law is just another reason why this man was never worthy to lead this great country.

Hey Stevo, don't let the door hit you ass on the way out!

7. greg555 macrumors 6502a

It seems likely to me that an election will just result in another minority government. So maybe they should work out a compromise and just keep going.

(I'm not real keen on any of the leaders/parties so a functioning minority government is fine with me.)

Greg

8. Iscariot thread starter macrumors 68030

Iscariot

As of Sunday morning parliament has been dissolved, with the election for the 14th.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

10. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I really hope that Harper and the Conservatives don't get a majority, as a former Progressive Conservative supporter.. I'd prefer to see the Liberals in power.. Dion hasn't done a great job to prove how he's "better" than Harper, but anything can happen between now and October. I have Reform Tory friends who are fed up with Harper, and I also have Liberal friends who actually helped selected Dion as leader at the convention 2 years ago and are regretting it.

I predict another Conservative minority though. but it's good to see Elizabeth May being allowed as part of the debate now, even if she won't win her seat anyways!: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2008/09/10/elxn-may-debates.html