Canadian Resident: Where to buy? Apple or other online stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doranrhassett, Oct 16, 2007.

1. doranrhassett macrumors newbie

I live in Canada and I am soon going to buy a mac, just wondering what reccomendations people have as to where online to buy my mac. Best prices, extras?

2. skwij macrumors 6502

I got my Macbook via the online store (Canada) as no resellers here (FutureShop/Staples/MicroAge) had anything other than the base model at the time. There was no difference in price at the Apple store vs the resellers, for the models that were identical.

Going thru the store was a very pleasant experience, and I got my machine within 3 business days. I did call the 1-800 number rather than via the online store, though.

I did go to CanadaComputer for 3rd party RAM, though, as a RAM upgrade via the Apple store is rediculously expensive.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Occassionally, Staples or Futureshop sell at a slight discount. London Drugs never seem to discount or rarely at least. I usually buy from Apple for the free delivery and to make sure I don't get old stock.

4. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

5. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I got both my ibook and mbp from the online store.
    RAM I purchased from OWC in the US the small amount of duty was worth the cheap price.

My bro got his powerbook from my universities computer store.

Sometimes educational institutions have good deals on hardware, but if your not a student you'll pay more (if they sell to you, depends on where you go)

As for futureshop/bestbuy etc. they are all about the hp, compaq, toshiba etc sales, half their staff don't even know what a mac is, just that they're different and that you'd be "better off" with a HP running vista... (honestly they will dissuade people simply because they don't know anything about the macs [or have only the base models, 6 months old in stock], I will admit I was there the other day and stepped in to inform one of the people the salesperson was trying to convince to get a 17" compaq instead of the mbp 17, which they didn't have in stock and the saleskid knew nothing about... but anyway) So futureshop etc. are not necessarily the best people as they don't specialize in macs just ipods.
    Apple only Resellers are generally good, if you have them in your area, check apple's website for locations.

6. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

If you have airmiles make sure you go to http://www.airmilesshops.ca/ and log into apple.ca this way. You'll get one airmile for every $20 spent this way.