Canadians, Jack Layton

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wrinkster22, Aug 22, 2011.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hello Canada,
    For those of you who don't know, Jack Layton the leader of the NDP and leader of the official opposition party died last night. Any thoughts or anything you want to share?

2. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

He'll be missed.

"Politics matters. Ideas matter. Democracy matters."

R.I.P. Jack.

3. Love macrumors 68000

Love

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Sorry ... I was never a Layton fan ... IMO all politicians should stay out of bawdy houses. ... "great men" do not frequent these places. :rolleyes:

5. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^Go away.

Very classy (I was going to use a word that starts with "d", but I didn't want the mods to edit it out). Have some ****ing respect.

You're really making a name for yourself around here. And not in a good way.:rolleyes:

Let's see you accomplish half of what Mr. Layton did.

I had a lot of respect for Jack Layton, even though I didn't agree with all of his (and the NDP's) politics. From what I've read about him, he was a good man. He will definitely be missed.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I could care less what you think of me or the fact you have a lot of respect for JL :rolleyes:... I was responding to the OP's request for comments on Jack Layton ... any politician that frequents bawdy houses should not represent a political party.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

You're posting a story from a ******** website about an event that happened in 1996. Who the **** cares.

Go watch Fox News.

8. Apple OC, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... anything else? ... IMO getting caught in a prostitution sting was Jack Layton's legacy.

Some more info on Jack or is it John Layton ... IMO he has been nothing but a financial drain on Canada.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/36009

and now they are talking a State funeral? ... a totally unacceptable waste of tax dollars

9. Love macrumors 68000

Love

He went to one once, and even that is under dispute. You've never made a ****ing mistake in your life?

Jack Layton's legacy was one of positive politics; of setting party lines aside to make real progress for Canada. The fact your link mentions the Sun News Network completely rids you of any credibility whatsoever.

You disgust me.

Oh, and by the way, for the love of God, it's I couldn't care less

10. Surely, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

Surely Guest

Surely

He was not arrested or charged with anything. Wrong place, wrong time. His wife didn't care, and they would still be together if he didn't pass away.

Your opinion does not matter. The vast majority of Canada doesn't give a **** about that insignificant event that happened 15 years ago.

You make me sad for the future of Canada......trying to put a Fox News spin on everything.:rolleyes:

[EDIT] How brave of you to edit your post this morning instead of making a new post to try to sneak in some more useless information that no one gives a **** about. You're a really classy guy. Notice how other conservatives are being more respectful? Yeah, try to be like them.[/EDIT]

Just let this thread be what it was meant to be....a tribute to a great politician.

11. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

If there was any class act in Canadian politics, it was Jack Layton. He was a really great man and he will be missed. Layton was an inspiration to young people like myself, especially in university cities, where NDP support was overwhelming, and it was all because of his genuine personality. RIP.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I hear that Harper has deigned to offer a State Funeral for Jack to Olivia, and she has accepted.

Usually only PM's and GG's get them.

A state-paid photo-op for our Feckless Leader. ;)

Oh well, this act will certainly please most Canadians Lemon OC. :p

13. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

thank you thats what Intended for this to be. Even though not all of us (including myself) may not of agreed with his politics, look what he did. He transformed the NDP party and made them somewhat significant in parliament. RIP Jack

14. tmagman macrumors 6502

While I did not agree with his almost any of his policies personally as a life long and dedicated Conservative, I had a huge amount of respect for him. Jack grew up in a very conservative household (his father was a cabinet minister under Mulroney) and understood the need for discussion and friendly non-hostile politics that a lot of left-leaning politicians rely on. He wasn't like the others in how they would respond to differing ideas with a 'no that's stupid' response (with no open mind to even listen), he took the high road and offered discussion: a 'I understand what you are saying, however I disagree with you because..." I wish every politican (and political commentator for that matter!) could learn a lesson or two from how Jack acted.

15. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

‎"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton (RIP)

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didn't agree with his stance on many things, but he was a respectful politician, something that is scarce in US politics. A huge loss for the NDP.
    Harper announced a state funeral ceremony for him.

17. suburbia macrumors 6502

I've never supported the NDP, and probably never will, but Jack Layton was one of those rare politicians who was passionate, dedicated and genuinely cared about humanitarian issues. He was faithful to the NDP, and had he defected to the Liberal Party, he would have very well been Canada's Prime Minister at one time.

He will be missed.

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

The smiling cheerful warrior passed away too soon. :(

19. Surely Guest

Surely

It's a worthless tabloid rag. Definitely a new low in Canadian journalism....if you can call it that.:rolleyes:

But really it's an opinion piece, and I don't care about that writer's opinion. At all.

--------------

I'm proud that the the Canadian government, currently a Conservative majority, thinks that Mr. Layton deserves a state funeral. They're doing the right thing.

20. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yeah, as others have pointed out, he wasn't charged and nobody made any issue out of it for 15 years... then when he was gaining political momentum the leak came out. So your view of his legacy is built on innuendo and fanciful speculation. Whatever the reason Sun media had for bringing up that story, the only thing news worthy about it was how Sun had it's hand in creating a new low in Canadian politics.

I'm not committed to his politics in anyway, but Jack Layton was a good man. With ambitions about helping our country and not just accumulating political power.