Cancel Online Pre-Order or Let Apple Employee at Apple Store Cancel tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amitdoc2b, Sep 20, 2012.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

If I have a pre-order in for Oct 5 with a $199 iPhone 5 price, should I cancel it when I am in line at the Apple store or let an employee do it at the register when I get an iPhone 5 in my hands? I'm not sure which way would be the most appropriate so that the discounted price is maintained as well as my order in line.

2. mateo124 macrumors regular

Hate to break it to you, but they will need to reset your eligibility before you can buy an iPhone 5. They will reset it in store, but you will need to wait 24 hours before it is reset and you are able to buy a phone.

3. sealos macrumors regular

I'm planning on doing the same thing. It shouldn't take 24 hours, more like a few minutes to get thru the system. The OP might just have to wait off to the side until things clear.

I would bring in the emailed pre-order confirmation to help speed things up.

Also, if you know you're in a good line position (ie, you know you'll get one), you can cancel your pre-order in line and it should have made it thru the system by the time you are up front.

Good luck!

4. malaclypse macrumors member

you sure about that? I called Apple (I ordered an AT&T phone through Apple.com) and they said it would take 24 hours for them to process the cancellation and reset the upgrade eligibility. :confused:

5. Narbotic macrumors newbie

FYI - tried doing this today.
    Cancelled my pre-order while in line, ~10min later in the store, still ineligible for an upgrade.
    In fact 2 hours after that - the apple site still says I'm ineligible. Oh well - switched to Verizon instead.

6. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

Same here, cancelled 2 hrs ago, still waiting for eligibility to reset.