Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgandy6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I have preordered the new iPhone on the Verizon website and am expecting shipment on October 5th. I live in a small town with a Verizon store and was wondering if I could go in at the crack of dawn, buy the new iPhone, and then cancel my preorder. Is this a legitimate strategy or am I going to be stuck waiting until October?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Anyone have a legit answer to the OP's question? I'm in the same boat: I preordered one through Apple (due mid October) but I wanna try my luck at local stores this weekend. Could I get mine at store at the discounted rate, then cancelled my order through Apple?

My fear is that my upgrade pricing has been used already with my preorder, and therefore if I walk into a store & try to get one, I would have to pay $699.99 or whatever it is.

Skyfox16

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
I pre ordered in store on the 21st and ship date is Oct 19th. Has anyone canceled there pre order and just got one at an apple store?

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
I have preordered the new iPhone on the Verizon website and am expecting shipment on October 5th. I live in a small town with a Verizon store and was wondering if I could go in at the crack of dawn, buy the new iPhone, and then cancel my preorder. Is this a legitimate strategy or am I going to be stuck waiting until October?

If the Verizon Store has one they cancel it easy. If you get one at Apple Store and getting it on a subsidize there might be an issue but if you're getting it in no contract Apple can sell it to you without your account with Verizon. But you will need to cancel your pre-order before you can activate the phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
you would have to cancel your order and then wait until your upgrade eligibility changed back if you want the discounted price. Otherwise, if you go to buy in store, they are going to charge you the full retail price until it shows you can upgrade. I know people had issues trying to cancel through the carriers though. They were telling people they could not cancel their pre-orders. This is all based on what I have read on the forums the last few days.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I had a preorder with Verizon with a ship date of 9/28. On Sunday I walked into my local Apple store and asked if they had a 64gb black Verizon iP5, and they said yes. I bought it on the spot, and ported my number over. I drove home and cancelled the preorder online. I had no issues doing this, it was easy.

Edit: that being said, I am a new Verizon customer, I ported in from AT&T. I was out of contract with AT&T so I had nothing that could hold up the order flow.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
The guy in the Verizon store cancelled my order for me, I gave him the order number, he did the rest.

Anyhow, I'm guessing this guy already sorted it out.

Skyfox16

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
does anyone know how long it would take them to reset my upgrade?

So this morning i went ahead and canceled my vzw pre order that was dated to ship on 10/19. I called *611 and got different answers on how fast my upgrade would reset, but the last rep checked with her supervisor and said it should be almost instant that the upgrade would be available again. Sure enough she canceled my pre order. i logged onto the site and my upgrade is back!

Supposedly a local store has an iphone available that they said i could pickup after work. We will see....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.