Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Originally I had decided on the 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB w/ Cellular (in Silver, with coordinating White Magic Keyboard) for just slightly north of my $2,000 budget upon adding AppleCare and applying account credit. After further careful consideration (I'm the weirdo who doesn't "consume" much tele-visual media [movies, shows], who doesn't work in a demandingly creative field or do a lot of digital art, who prefers to reduce his cellular usage/bill where possible, who doesn't gravitate toward the largest of displays anyway for the sake of portability and simplicity [still using my trusty 10.6" display-equipped 256GB/8GB Surface Pro 2 from 2013], and who clearly needs his investment to last as long as possible), I decided last night to cancel my original iPad Pro XDR pre-order and go with something potentially far more logical — and powerful — for similar funds (approx. $70 more, all things [cheaper AppleCare/keyboard] considered).

Enter iPad Pro 11", 1TB, Wi-Fi (in Space Gray with Black Magic Keyboard). I know I said I'm not the most power-hungry user but as a tech nerd I can and certainly do appreciate sheer power and capability especially where it may extend the potential lifespan of my investment and improve general, day-to-day quality of life within the confines of Apple's walled garden OS (heck, if 16GB of RAM can virtually eliminate the chances of a Safari tab or entire application having to reload as well as help ensure the device's longevity as iPadOS and future software grow potentially more resource-greedy, then I'm all for it). The earlier slated date of arrival (May 24-Jun 1, as opposed to the XDR's Jun 2-Jun 9), to be fully honest, helped assuage any lingering fears I may have made the wrong decision.

:)

Postscript/edit: I just checked the receipts to be sure and the price increase was actually more like $32 for 4x the storage and 2x the RAM—not too shabby. Sorry I wasn’t more accurate in my original post.

Last edited:

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I had a similar order. An 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB cellular in space grey and I cancelled it. The main reason was that I use my iPad mostly as a consumption device and my 2020 12,9" iPad Pro is perfectly fine for this job. I bought myself an M1 13" MBP and I couldn't be happier.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Enter iPad Pro 11", 1TB, Wi-Fi (in Space Gray with Black Magic Keyboard). I know I said I'm not the most power-hungry user but as a tech nerd I do appreciate sheer power and capability especially where it may extend the potential lifespan of my investment and improve general, day-to-day quality of life within the confines of Apple's walled garden OS (heck, if 16GB of RAM can virtually eliminate the chances of a Safari tab or entire application having to reload as well as help ensure the device's longevity as iPadOS and future software grow potentially more resource-greedy, then I'm all for it). The earlier slated date of arrival (May 24-Jun 1, as opposed to the XDR's Jun 2-Jun 9), to be fully honest, helped assuage any lingering fears I may have made the wrong decision.

If not for face masks, I'd probably get the Pro 11 1TB, too (no MKB, though). Alas, I tend to carry that size around so I still need TouchID.

Since I'm in no hurry to get 11" FaceID, I'll probably wait to buy until it's discounted.

Reactions: max2 and sorgo †

Chargr

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I canceled after I picked up the IPad Pro 12.9 2020 128gb version for $730 ($100 off promo plus 5% discover cash back)

The M1 IPad 2021 is great but not that much of a difference. I’ll save the chunk of money. It’s probably going to take 2-3 years for the new IPADOS using M chips to be worth it.

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I had a similar order. An 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB cellular in space grey and I cancelled it. The main reason was that I use my iPad mostly as a consumption device and my 2020 12,9" iPad Pro is perfectly fine for this job. I bought myself an M1 13" MBP and I couldn't be happier.
I've been wrestling, probably like many others, about the comparative price and performance of the 2021 iPP Pro with (for me my ordered and outfitted with 16GB iPP) and a MacBook.

Added to this price consideration is the my need for a new MK. I just don't think I'll be happy with an ill fitting 2018 MK vs. the 2021 MK. I'm wondering if I'd be better off investing the cost of the 2021 MK into a MacBook (using the funds to upgrade RAM/SSD) and keep my 2018 iPP for the goodness that tablets offer?

In the last six months I had a 12" MacBook die on me. While it was a slow-poke, I did like the overall ergonomics of it vs. my 2018 iPP with the MK.

Yes, yes, I know the 2021 iPP has the new screen, and a 5G cellular modem. But so much depends on whether Apple's iOS/developers's apps. really take advantage of the M1 and 16GB.

I think I need to go to the local Apple Store and check out the newest MacBooks as my finger hovers over the iPP cancel order button.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Originally I had decided on the 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB w/ Cellular (in Silver, with coordinating White Magic Keyboard) for just slightly north of my $2,000 budget upon adding AppleCare and applying account credit. After further careful consideration (I'm the weirdo who doesn't "consume" much tele-visual media [movies, shows], who doesn't work in a demandingly creative field or do a lot of digital art, who prefers to reduce his cellular usage/bill where possible, who doesn't gravitate toward the largest of displays anyway for the sake of portability and simplicity [still using my trusty 10.6" display-equipped Surface Pro 2 from 2013], and who clearly needs his investment to last as long as possible), I decided last night to cancel my original iPad Pro XDR pre-order and go with something potentially far more logical — and powerful — for similar funds (approx. $70 more, all things [cheaper AppleCare/keyboard] considered).

Enter iPad Pro 11", 1TB, Wi-Fi (in Space Gray with Black Magic Keyboard). I know I said I'm not the most power-hungry user but as a tech nerd I can and certainly do appreciate sheer power and capability especially where it may extend the potential lifespan of my investment and improve general, day-to-day quality of life within the confines of Apple's walled garden OS (heck, if 16GB of RAM can virtually eliminate the chances of a Safari tab or entire application having to reload as well as help ensure the device's longevity as iPadOS and future software grow potentially more resource-greedy, then I'm all for it). The earlier slated date of arrival (May 24-Jun 1, as opposed to the XDR's Jun 2-Jun 9), to be fully honest, helped assuage any lingering fears I may have made the wrong decision.

Sounds like you made the right decision and saved yourself $2K+ dollars.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I've been wrestling, probably like many others, about the comparative price and performance of the 2021 iPP Pro with (for me my ordered and outfitted with 16GB iPP) and a MacBook.

Added to this price consideration is the my need for a new MK. I just don't think I'll be happy with an ill fitting 2018 MK vs. the 2021 MK. I'm wondering if I'd be better off investing the cost of the 2021 MK into a MacBook (using the funds to upgrade RAM/SSD) and keep my 2018 iPP for the goodness that tables offer?

In the last six months I had a 12" MacBook die on me. While it was a slow-poke, I did like the overall ergonomics of it vs. my 2018 iPP with the MK.

Yes, yes, I know the 2021 iPP has the new screen, and a 5G cellular modem. But so much depends on whether Apple's iOS/developers's apps. really take advantage of the M1 and 16GB.

I think I need to go to the local Apple Store and check out the newest MacBooks as my finger hovers over the iPP cancel order button.

Which device do you need/want more?

At home, I've got a couple of desktops, an M1 MBA, a ThinkPad X1 Nano, a ThinkPad E15 AMD, ASUS Zephyrus G14 and a couple of older Windows 7 laptops if I need to run apps that aren't available on the iPad or perform tasks that take longer/require a lot of workaround to do on iPadOS. The iPad still gets a lot more use than all of the desktops and laptops combined and there are some features lacking on my 2017 iPP 12.9 I will benefit from so to me, that's worth upgrading.

That's my situation though. Yours probably differs entirely. The 2018 iPP is still a very capable machine so nothing wrong with waiting to replace it if you don't think you need to right now.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Does iPad OS not have an Unlock with Apple Watch feature like iOS does now? Or do you just not have an Apple Watch?

It doesn't but I also don't have an Apple Watch. Tried it and just found it too bulky. Ever since I can check cellphones for time, I haven't bothered wearing watches. In general, not particularly fond of jewelry.

Besides, I believe the Apple Watch can only be paired with one iPhone at a time and I think that pairing is required to be able to unlock.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I don't believe so yet.

It also isn't the most elegant of solutions.

The need of ANOTHER Apple product to do something. While Touch ID will just do it easily.

Well, it's pretty elegant for the tons of people who own an Apple Watch already, lol! I agree it's best to have both Face ID and Touch ID if they can incorporate the Touch ID without a "chin"

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Well, it's pretty elegant for the tons of people who own an Apple Watch already, lol! I agree it's best to have both Face ID and Touch ID if they can incorporate the Touch ID without a "chin"
Like you said, IF one owns both devices.

IF one doesn't, then it becomes ANOTHER device to buy.

Not the best solution if one isn't convinced they need or want an Apple Watch in the first place.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Which device do you need/want more?

At home, I've got a couple of desktops, an M1 MBA, a ThinkPad X1 Nano, a ThinkPad E15 AMD, ASUS Zephyrus G14 and a couple of older Windows 7 laptops if I need to run apps that aren't available on the iPad or perform tasks that take longer/require a lot of workaround to do on iPadOS. The iPad still gets a lot more use than all of the desktops and laptops combined and there are some features lacking on my 2017 iPP 12.9 I will benefit from so to me, that's worth upgrading.

That's my situation though. Yours probably differs entirely. The 2018 iPP is still a very capable machine so nothing wrong with waiting to replace it if you don't think you need to right now.
I hate to admit it, I'm probably suffering from G.A.S. The pandemic makes it even worse. I should just cancel the 2021 iPP order, and sit back and see what the near future of iOS brings. Thanks for the "Pepto Bismol" talk;)

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
If not for face masks, I'd probably get the Pro 11 1TB, too (no MKB, though). Alas, I tend to carry that size around so I still need TouchID.

Since I'm in no hurry to get 11" FaceID, I'll probably wait to buy until it's discounted.
They should really do the watch unlock thing for iPad too. Works so damn good on iPhone

sorgo †

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks for the kind replies, everyone. I rarely post and tried doing so intentionally (I don't care to talk someone else [or even at this point myself] into or out of anything because you all know your use cases/budgets/selves better than I could); this thread is simply the product/expression of months (years, really—for I bought the 2018 11" Pro when it originally came out but returned it after being unsatisfied) of consideration.

To the logically-minded it may seem rather bizarre to give an in many ways nearly-identical model another shot some three years later, but I have my reasons.

Firstly, in terms of actual, real, semi-concrete product differentiation, I am fully expecting the Magic Keyboard (I've not tried one as far as I can remember) to far outpace the ergonomics and quality of the Folio of fore—and hopefully those of the Surface's Type Cover 2 which again have been quite accurate, pleasant, and reliable over the years, save for the moisture-sensitive, erratic, tiny trackpad.

Secondly, in terms of (potentially-)exciting (potential) future software features, I'm excitedly anticipating the higher-fidelity Apple Music tier, the data of which, if the addition does come to fruition, may just end up reigning over much of that terabyte. Music and audiophilia are more my lanes of hobby/"consumption" and trying to listen to lossless music with my wired headphones and amplifier using Foobar2000 on the 2018 Pro with its semi-newfangled USB-C port proved disappointingly choppy and frustrating. This hypothetical elevated grade of Apple Music and its potential reliability and familiar seamless integration would likely outweigh the cons of any degraded, "lossy" quality of Bluetooth audio streaming versus old-fashioned wired headphones and external amps—which I barely touch anymore for sake of convenience.

Currently my AirPods Pro (rumored to have compatibility with this hi-fi Apple Music) are doing a nice job pulling the weight of my listening habits, but who knows! Maybe the money I save not feeling obliged to pay for additional (and likely unnecessary) cellular service on the iPad can go toward some AirPods Max to really milk that Music subscription for all it may hopefully soon be worth.

:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I wish higher storage capacity wasn't limited to the Pro models. I'd love a 1TB iPad Air for $999. The 11" Pro 1TB used to be $1299, but now they've jacked up the price to $1499.

Been watching the 1TB models and pricing history for 11" is:

2018 1TB Wi-Fi $1549 (2018 launch)

2018 1TB Wi-Fi $1349 (2019 Q3/Q4 price cut)

2020 1TB Wi-Fi $1299 (2020 launch)

2021 1TB Wi-Fi $1499 (2021 launch)

The price back in 2018 was a shock but now I've had 3 years to get used to it. 🤣🤣🤣

I've been regularly checking the Apple refurb store for 1TB Cellular. I just saw the 2018 12.9 for $1049 1TB Wi-Fi yesterday so 2018 11 1TB Wi-Fi would probably be around $849-899.

I hate to admit it, I'm probably suffering from G.A.S. The pandemic makes it even worse. I should just cancel the 2021 iPP order, and sit back and see what the near future of iOS brings. Thanks for the "Pepto Bismol" talk;)

Lol, I'm giving in to GAS now. Without vacations (~$5K every 2 years), there's more funding available right now for pricey tech.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 16, 2016
They should really do the watch unlock thing for iPad too. Works so damn good on iPhone
That would indeed be cool. I just wish the feature worked over Bluetooth only instead of needing both that and Wi-Fi enabled on both devices when out and about. Silly complaint for many, I know, but again—I'm a weirdo and I try to reduce the number of wireless radios in use especially if mostly unnecessary and in direct contact with my body/skin.

On that note, paying an extra $200 for inbuilt 5G technology would have been especially ridiculous in my particular use case given the likelihood I would literally never use it; I opt for LTE and (potentially) lower radiation output/exposure if cellular is active on my iPhone 12.

:apple:

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I was set to replace my 2018 12.9 iPad Pro, but it still performs like a champ and it’s mostly used for Notability and emails/web. So I ordered the M1 MacBook Air with 16GB of RAM for $1050 with student discount. Now just waiting for delivery!

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
Funny. I ordered a 12.9 1TB cellular but still have a 11” 1TB cellular sitting in my shopping cart in the Apple Store app. Great deal of vaccilating happening here.

I’m on a 2018 11” 512GB cellular. Been great but I do 80-85% of my work on it and not infrequently wish for more screen real estate. Think the screen size will be a nice upgrade more than anything, M1 and 16GB RAM will add some longevity.

Fortunately I don’t have tiny T-Rex hands and workout so the 12.9 weight increase over the 11 and 40g increase some people are complaining about over the 2020 12.9 (lol) won’t be an issue.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I was set to replace my 2018 12.9 iPad Pro, but it still performs like a champ and it’s mostly used for Notability and emails/web. So I ordered the M1 MacBook Air with 16GB of RAM for $1050 with student discount. Now just waiting for delivery!
You chose wise. Unless you have specific workflows where an iPad is better, you are much better off using a Mac. Much better.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I just cancel my 12.9 wifi space grey too. back to use my 2018 12.9 pro again.
The reason is:
1 I can’t find any apps i use on my iPad will get advantages from power of m1 chip.
2 Add a Thunderbolt port is great but i still cannot find a device which utilize this port efficiency. (my LG 5k still run at 4K with side black strip. There are no real file manager for fast thunderbolt storage!!)
3 In covid world i think every dollar must be spend by carefully manner, so $1100 for a new iPad while old iPad still work great is not so carefully spend.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Lol, I'm giving in to GAS now. Without vacations (~$5K every 2 years), there's more funding available right now for pricey tech.

LOL wish I could say the same. We too take trips, annually actually .. but we’ve been pouring saved funds into home renovation projects. Feels like I’ve been hemorrhaging money for the past year . . . ugh. Thankfully with work from home and no large gatherings I have no need for a new iPP yet and it will be several months to a year before I’m back to doing photos and videos. For now I’ll keep dreaming and living vicariously through the experiences shared here by others LOL.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Wait a min… what happened to the iMac? Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.