Cancelling Apple preorder to buy in store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rfs2005, Sep 22, 2012.

1. rfs2005 macrumors member

Anyone done this with the iPhone 5? My preorder isnt scheduled to ship until 10/2, but many of the Apple Retail Stores around me still have a good stock of phones.

I was thinking of cancelling my preorder to buy in store. I spoke to an Apple employee about this yesterday, and he said that it may not work. At this point, I don't want to risk messing something up. I'll also be doing an upgrade swap, as well.

Anyone done this before? Did it work without any issues?

2. peteypab2133 macrumors newbie

I had to process about 5 of these yesterday. Here are my experiences.

1) Verizon pre-orders online or over the phone or even in the store can be cancelled immediately through customer support. They put a pending hold on the line that has the phone coming in. This means nothing can be done to that line till the phone is activated and the terms and conditions are signed. If you call it in, they can actually cancel the order completely.

2) Apple pre-orders are a little more difficult. I had two customers cancel an apple pre-order and it turned into a crap fest. Apple claims its canceled, but verizon has to get authentication from apple first. There are SOOO many people attempting to do this that it has to be done manually. Verizon then basically said it can take up to 3 business days to cancel an apple pre-order. I had the customer pay for the phone, and leave it at the store till the pending apple order was reversed.

It can be done, but depending on who you talk to is how long it will take.

Hopefully this helps you a little.

3. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I went online on my phone in the verizon store and cancelled it. I used the pre order email that verizon sent me, clicked on the link to see what was going on with my phone, and below where it says your order is in process, there is a cancel order button. Clicked on it, it asked for the last 4 digits of my ssn and it was cancelled! I received an email confirmation that it was.

I think if they had taken you money out already, then you would not get the cancel button, but they had not taken my money yet.

4. rfs2005 thread starter macrumors member

Just checked my Apple order status, and it is now prepared for shipment. So, this is now a non-issue for me. There are reports of Sept. 14 preorders set for delivery in October that are now getting their delivery dates bumped up. Hopefully, I'll be one of those lucky ones.

Thanks for the replies.

5. rustyosaurus macrumors regular

i had a preorder scheduled for october 5 delivery but i happened to be at the apple store yesterday picking up a repair. the iphone line was short so i thought, 'what the heck'. asked an apple rep what to do and they said to cancel the apple online order. so i did.

get up to the front of the line and my rebate status hasn't reset yet. no problem there is an AT&T person on the spot for just such an issue.

and then it wouldn't work because i had a partial rebate and apparently they can't process partial rebates in store. i either need to purchase online or go to an AT&T store.

all AT&T stores are sold out in the city and although i quickly re-placed my order on apple.com, i'm now waiting 3-5 weeks.

i so wish i hadn't cancelled my online order. i even called into apple to ask if there was anything they could do. guy said i should have talked to apple.com first and that the store reps don't have anything to do with the online orders.

whatever.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Thanks for the heads up...I was looking to do exactly what you were doing, but I figured that same problem may occur (but I thought I was being dramatic). After reading what happened to you, I guess I'll just hold on to my original order...due in 2.5 weeks :(

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

ouch!

8. f00f macrumors 65816

I didn't preorder. Did that last year for the 4S and the year before camped overnight for the 4.

This year, I just walked into the AT&T store and asked for a no-commitment 64GB white iPhone 5. They have about 6 in stock (I'm still at the store waiting for the sales rep). I'm rather surprised they have stock; previous generations were gone within the day at launch.