Candidates and Wealth

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by trebblekicked, May 17, 2007.

1. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Presidential candidates kind of declare their wealth

strangely, they were allowed to report their assets and liabilities in wide ranges. ranges that make the disclosure of their wealth kind of pointless. to wit:

Guiliani: between $18.1 million and $70.4 million
    Clinton: between $10 million and $50 million
    McCain: between $21 million and $32 million
    Obama: between $456,000 and $1.1 million

i'd like to think that obama would be the most likely to connect with the financial realities of working class america, but who knows? i'm also inclined to believe that the difference between the average working american and obama is bigger than the difference between obama and guiliani, if you know what i mean.

anyway, i'm not sure it really matters. we all know politics is a rich man's game. just thought i'd post it so we'd have something else to fight about.

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Odds are that the closest to the bone is Ron Paul. I doubt he's getting $400 haircuts. :)

I'd feel more comfortable about candidates at any level if we had more people who actually had experience in small retail business and some hands-on physical work before they went into politics. From high school through law school and into politics makes for a wide gap between them and most working folks.

'Rat

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Salaries and other such remuneration is given as hard numbers in these reports. It's when a person has large investment holdings that the ranges come into play. Take Rudy's numbers for example: His range is so broad because the bulk of his money is investment in his consulting firm.

As for Obama, those numbers could be the result of a Congressional salary and owning a halfway decent house. While not exactly an average American, he's certainly not outside of the upper middle class range.

Besides, it's funny as hell to hear conservative knocking Edwards for his hair cuts. What happened to being able to do what you want with your money, eh? Oh yeah, that only applies to conservatives. I forgot.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, to be fair, they don't talk about the poor or 2 Americas. But at least he's doing something about it, so, yeah it is kinda funny. I'm debating whether or not we deserve to know what they make, but I'm leaning towards thinking they should just offer them in good faith.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Rich Republicans don't talk about the issue of poverty? Sure they do, they just have different solutions. Do we call Bush a hypocrite for saying he wants to help the poor as his faith demands, then turning around and getting a high-dollar haircut too?

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I really liked the idea one radio caller mentioned the other day on NPR.

What if politicians were forced to wear NASCAR style jumpsuits showing the
    name of all their sponsors?

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I never said I had a problem with Edwards' $400 haircuts. He could get $500 pedicures for all I care.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Think the public deserves to have full disclosure of every contributor to their campaigns and full access to records of their meetings including written
    minutes of their discussions with all lobbyists.

9. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

If 1 million dollars was really working class America, then its no wonder people in Europe thought the streets were laid with gold.

10. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

trust me hilary will have the most campaign funds. they predict at least 75 million in donations because the clinton campaign is making donators pick sides now, or else face the wrath of the clintons forever. the clinton family don't forget enemies, and on the positive side, they don't forget their friends either. so obama, despite opening up the democratic campaign, will not have the wherewithal to compete against the juggernaught known as hilary. giuliani will be the only one close to the 75million mark.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is this an admission that you are a conservative? I thought you protested mightily when I called you one previously...

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'm a Libertarian. Aren't they pro haircuts and pedicures? :)

13. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

i saw John Edwards speak in person and I must say his hair was properly coiffed. dont know if it was worth $500. if you asked my mother, she would say it was worth it cause she occasionally spends 300-500 at vidal sasson when her favorite hairstylists flies into nyc from boston...

i spend about 13 bucks at supercuts. pretty good if u ask me.

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

most democrats are hypocrites. obama doesnt know what its like to be in the working class, either. so dont give me that crap that he somehow does. the difference in the democrats and republicans is that the democrats pretend to know what its like to be in the middle class and say things like "i know what its like to work paycheck to paycheck" and "i want to bridge the gap between the rich and the poor." then, they go out and buy a new $7M mansion. it's a joke. the GOP talks about helping the poor as well, but I, like them, believe the private sector is much better at helping than the government. let the wealthy give money via churches and charity. the more the government takes, the less the rich will give. after all, republicans give more to charities than do democrats.

15. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

The heck?

16. trebblekicked thread starter macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

yup. studies have shown that conservatives give more money to charities. you're absolutely right about that.

but why'd you get so mad at the idea that obama knows what it's like to work for a living? was he a trust fund kid? does being a lawyer not count as work? or is it just that you can't stand democrats?

most politicians are hypocrites. republicans are no better, democrats are no worse.

you've obviously got your beliefs. i'm not about to change your mind, and don't care to. i think you're wrong about quite a lot, but hey, dif'rent strokes.

edit: anyone else find it ironic that one of those websites is philanthropy.com? i mean, that's funny, right?

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Also, it's apparently true that every Democrat in America can buy a $7,000,000 mansion.

Got three links to back that one up? :rolleyes:

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Are you kidding? $450k-$1.1m net worth for a 46 year-old isn't unrealistic at all. I make about median income, stuff lots of money into retirement and could very easily have a million dollars before I'm 60 if I stay on track. And that's not factoring that I could write a bestselling book like Obama.

19. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Oh I missed the net worth. Yeah thats not really that much. I would say pure cash in the bank is a bit much for Middle Class. Not that outstanding. But net worth is a solid middle class contender.

But still he certainly isn't a blue collar worker. Thats a pretty well of financial man, not rich, but doing well. Thats not a blue collar worker in America.

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, I don't care who spends how much on a haircut. It's just the idea that a haircut is worth $400 to somebody. Hair is hair. Ten bucks is already too danged much for a little scissors work, IMO.

It calls to mind the old saying, "He knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing."

I'm not interested in how purty a candidate is. That's on the outside; the book cover. I want to know something about political philosophy and character. That's on the inside, the text.

'Rat

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, we call him a hypocrite for a lot of reasons. NCLB, Clean Water, Clear Skies, Support the Troops (that's a big one). I don't recall him ever saying he'd help the poor, though he does do that pseudo-Christian thing, but he definitely does screw them over with the help of others in his party and even some of the Dems. Plus Laura's last haircut was about $700. My point was that Edwards talking about the poor and the 2 Americas, which is fine because he did actually grow up poor, but then he goes and gives the talking heads fodder by building an ultra expensive house and a way too expensive haircut. Doesn't help the "pretty boy" stigma either.

But yeah, anyone (Dem or Repub) who talks about helping the poor while actively screwing them over is an even worse hypocrite, because they aren't just wasting their own money, they're hurting those they claim to want to help, but being a "limousine liberal" doesn't exactly help either.

Most of that was because he sent out for her to come to him. If he could have gone to her, it would have been much cheaper. I also go somewhere cheap. Preferably with a coupon. I can afford more most of the time, but I hate getting it done period. And haven't seen the difference between a $30+ one and a sub $10 one. I have better things to spend money on. So long as Edwards gives to charities and supports programs to help the poor though, I guess he can do whatever he wants with his money. It is his money after all.

And yes, I also think it's funny when Republicans talk about how it's their money, they can spend it as they wish, unless it's someone on the other side, in which case they should have to spend all of their money on charities or else their worse hypocrites than they are.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I thought that was my point? Middle, maybe upper middle class. Certainly not amongst the wealthy in this country.

It's funny though, you'll get folks like Swarm making sure to tell you that an income of $250K a year isn't rich, but then you get his conservative bretheren coming in telling us that Obama is so wealthy he doesn't connect with the middle class.

All while convienently ignoring Bush, and particularly Cheney's, wealth.

When was the last time Bush or Cheney cooked their own meal, or did their own laundry? And yet somehow they are more in tune with the average American than Obama because of Obama's wealth?

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Since you brought up the subject of laundry, how about all that drug money
    that has been laundered to support these campaigns?

I can think of no better way to avoid a paper trail of contributors to empower these scoundrels.

24. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

not to justify the costs, but with a pricey haircut you get champagne/coffee/tea, a robe to wear, better service, decor... etc.

for me those things are unimportant, so i go to supercuts! every 11th cut is free, cant beat that!