Cannibis

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by KingYaba, Jul 26, 2007.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This will surely be on everyone's talking points tomorrow on TV, radio, newspaper, blogs etc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...tml?in_article_id=471106&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

I can already predict the responses. ;)

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, no I'm not surprised. I quit smoking that stuff when I was 18. It made me lazy, and I'm a man of action to tell the truth. It just didn't fit into my lifestyle. LSD was quite fun though. Ahh.. the good ol' days. :) However, I don't see it as all that detrimental to society. How many people on pot kill others? Not too many. I say legalize it.

BTW- I haven't done any illegal drug in over 15 years. Man, but the memories are fun. :)

3. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I can see some saying this is why we ought not to legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes. Hence why the "other side" will fire back with things like this is just propaganda cooked up by those right-wingers. Or better yet, one genius will say "If I smoke pot 4 times, like I will totally have schiizzoo man! Cause that's like, over 100% man!" :p

On a serious note. It will all boil down to weighing the odds.

Take pain medication (with certain risks) or use cannabis (with certain risks). Legalize it? Sure why the hell not? ;) My thinking is as long as the pot smoker does not jeopardize my well-being by smoking, then I have no problem.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I really don't see the drug thing as right vs left though. Look at the 80's, when right-wingers were hooked on coke. I think drugs have been used by both equally for different reasons.

5. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

And it shouldn't be. But just watch someone like Bill O'Reilly talk about this in his "talking points memo" and link it to the legalize hemp crowd (predominantly left) and follow the partisan fireworks that ensue.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh sure. I think the right loves to use it to cater to their base, but no one is fooled at this point. Too many of them have been busted for it. It's almost a non-issue.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think using this for the legal "drugs for guns" campaign would be a real winner.

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

Ha ha. That made me laugh.

To be fair King, the article seems to imply the risks are typically associated with younger people, which is no surprise really. It's not really wise to muck around with brain chemistry while a person is still developing, something Eli Lilly failed to tell us about Prozac...

I started smoking pot while I was still an adolescent and smoked pretty much every day for seven years. No, it wasn't a good thing for me, nor was the LSD or mushrooms or cocaine. But I still don't think it's something which should be criminalized. There are legitimate medical uses for the drug.

9. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I don't think it should be criminalized either! I'm just saying how the media will be talking about this and some commentators will link this to partisan issues. So I'm saying sit back and watch the mud slinging. :)

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? You might be surprised at how no one says much. People are over it.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Reefer Madness revisited? It was a stupid stereotype then and equally unsubstantiated now.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The voices in my head disagree with this report.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

But, it can be both. Make is a Schedule II drug, and you solve the conumdrum. It's legal for those who need it and under strict control. Regular possessions and recreational use would remain off-limits and those that can benefit from the medicinal uses could do so without worrying about impurities. Of course, those recreational users would get nailed even harder under that regime than they do now...

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This quote:

But Professor Leslie Iverson, from the University of Oxford, said there was still no conclusive evidence that cannabis use causes psychotic illness.

"Their prediction that 14% of psychotic outcomes in young adults in the UK may be due to cannabis use is not supported by the fact that the incidence of schizophrenia has not shown any significant change in the past 30 years."

pretty much sums up how much bollocks this is.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/megarolleyes2.gif

rubbish.

How do they come up with these figures? There's no way to test this properly really. All you have is an outcome and they can only speculate how it came to that.
    Perhaps these people were seeking to escape an illness they didn't know they had yet. Maybe this makes them more likely to be affected, but maybe it has nothing to do with the marijuana at all; maybe they were just mental of their own accord. So when the fit hits the shan later everyone is real quick to blame the poor little spliff. It's exasperating. I just don't believe it.

16. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Over my longish lifetime I've come across many people with mental problems who control the symptoms with dope and exactly none who have had problems caused by dope.

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Why are agencies, govts, and people trying to make pot out to be something horrible?

Dont they have better things to waste their pseudo-science and statistics on?

Sigh.

Id never listen to any authority who only a few decades ago said Pot Kills, then it was Pot makes you a minority (and you being white you dont want that!), soon it was Pot makes you sterile, then Pot makes you crazy, then Pot makes you lazy, then Pot makes you stupid, then Pot makes you neglect everyone like a heroin junkie.

Moronic. :rolleyes:

goto an MIT campus, see what drugs can REALLY do. seriously.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

$$$$$$

and justification for other much more dangerous things that are currently legal.

I bet if we research who really funds these we'll often find a big pharmaceutical companies trying to dope people up with their brand of medicine.

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I never really got a kick out of marijuana. I tried it a handful of times. That's been over twenty years, and I rarely even have a drink nowadays. However, I have a couple of old friends who call me up (they live out of state) and brag about their continued use. We're all in our mid-40s. I don't get it. One of them has a wife and two kids, and is in a position that is (supposedly) highly respectable in his town. He's a priest.

:confused:

I'm torn on the medical use. Any smoke you put in your lungs is damaging.

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

When this country is so far in the toilet everyone, from the poor all the way to the rich, smell like sewage...

finally, even those brainwashed into thinking pot is basically Nazi lettuce, people will look for new streams of revenue.

legalize pot, tax it (find street price, cut it by even as little as 5%), put it in all the places you can get cigarettes, watch the money roll in, watch the crime rate fall (more if you legalize other drugs).

Me being a somewhat Constitutional Libertarian (i trust the Constitution only), I have a problem with this. If you legalize pot (for the reason that who is the govt to tell me what I can put into my body), you need to legalize everything. Its either all in, or nothing because it would be hypocritical to legalize pot and keep, say, heroin illegal. Thats the same reasoning behind pot being illegal today: "The govt knows whats best for you".

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

A perfect example of what I'm talking about,he has religious mania and is controlling it by his judicious use of dope.:D

(I'm answering iSaints post by the way)

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

OK, the priest thing is a little startling. However the thing is, people often assume it turns you into a scoundrel. It doesn't. People live normal happy lives and occasionally smoke pot. Some of the most successful, creative and intelligent people I know smoke. It's just not a bother in almost every case I've ever known. I can never understand the huge argument against it.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well cigarettes and alcohol are considered drugs aren't they? Those are legal while pot isn't, so is that still hypocritical? I think they could legalize pot for medicinal purposes and still not be hypocrites.

24. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

The article states
    I stopped reading after that.

However I don't think pot should be legalized because it does make many people lethargic. The more widely available it is the more people will use it, making them worthless as time goes on. I've seen this time and again with people that use it generally long term.

25. pooky macrumors 6502

This is a really good point, and it's (unfortunately) a problem with a lot of otherwise reputable scientists. Correlation is not the same as causation, and a lot of these media reports based on scientific studies get this wrong. Of course, we can't really expect the reporter to get it right if the researcher doesn't understand it, either. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of researchers either don't understand this basic concept, or forget about it in the bustle of getting excited about some admittedly interesting results.

That being said, there is something else deceptive in the way this is reported. The study cites that cannabis use by adolescents increases your risk of schizophrenia by 40%. That sounds HUGE - my god, stay away from cannabis, it's got worse odds than Russian roulette! Not quite...

The background rate of schizophrenia is about 0.4 to 0.6% (Bhugra, D. (2005). The global prevalence of schizophrenia. PLoS Medicine, 2 (5), 372–373. PMID 15916460). That means your chance without cannabis of developing schizophrenia is about 1 in 200. Smoke a bunch of pot as a teenager? If this study is correct, your chance is now 1.4 in 200, or about 0.7%. Not so scary/shocking any more, is it?