Cannot connect to Airport Extreme Base Station in XP? "Out of Range"?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iBunny, Sep 30, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I just installed Windows XP via Bootcamp, No issues other than I cannot connect to my Airport Extreme Base-station. Windows tells me that "Wireless Network may be out of range" or something.

Help!

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Can you see the Base Station ?

I ask because when I got my new one, Apple had strangely set the channel to 13, a channel not seen by the majority of Windows computers. It took me a long time to figure it out, and a simple channel change to 11 fixed the whole issue.

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

My friend is having the same problem on an HP laptop - channel 11 doesn't fit the issue.

Anyone know of any other fixes?

4. mambotango macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same situation as iBunny.

I got it working by changing the settings via Airport Utility from "WPA2 Personal" into "WPA/WPA2 Personal" and it worked. Btw, before this, I changed from channel 11 to 1, 1 to 2, 2 to 7 without success. I've kept it under channel 7 and just made the change mentioned above.

Also, under winXP, I went to Wireless Network Connection properties and filled up the preferred networks. Am not sure if this has anything to do with the problem at hand but I am now connected automatically.

Hope this helps.

Details:
    Macbook
    Windows XP Pro (installed using bootcamp)
    Time Capsule

5. 6R3ND3L macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Worked like a charm.
    i actually just changed from "WPA2 Personal" into "WPA/WPA2 Personal" and it worked.

thanks so much :)