Cannot enter login password. Please help!!!

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by chilly7777777, May 26, 2019.

1. chilly7777777, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019

chilly7777777 macrumors newbie

I cannot enter login password in my cylinder Mac Pro in the login screen. I did tests and it looks like not hardware problem but software. What me to do, please help?!!!

It looks to me that some bug in software itself happened since last update

I cannot restore last copy because it does not enter password.
    My computer is encrypted with Apple FileVault so i cannot reinstall OS because it asks password from main hardrive which i cannot enter either.

Update:
    Solution:
    Hi guys. I resolved problem in this way.

I formated main harddrive thrue Command-R

and then i was able to reinstal OS from ground up.

Then i went to Apple Migration Assistant and wanted to restore information from Apple Time Capsule and it did not work and it was saying there is en error and are missing some containers.

So i entered Time Capsule by manual and by manual was retriving importent folders which contain date for programs like Desktop, Documents and other places.

And after thet programs itselfs i had to reinstall fom ground up.

So for now looks like awrything is ok.

Post scriptum:

If i did no have Apple Time Capsule then i would lost all my work and date of my life!!! Because my computer was encrypted and password protected and due to software bug in Apple OS itself i was not able to enter password to log in to my computer!!!

Apple must be more careful and make sure it does not heppen!

2. TimothyR734 macrumors 65816

TimothyR734

Do you have a backup you can reinstall over macOS Mojave without losing your info

3. chabig macrumors 603

Go to Apple for help, either in store on on the telephone.

4. chilly7777777 thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in Ukraine. There is only 3rd party one who most likely charge me alot of money!!!
    But clearly to me it looks like that last Apple software update bricked my computer. Anybody has the same issue?!!
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2019 ---
    How to do it?
    The ways i tried asks for password of my time capsule and to unlock my main hardwrive which i cannot enter as i cannot with login screen.
    I tried with Command R.
    Also tried to reset password for login and again it asks for password of my main hardrive which i cannot enter

5. TimothyR734 macrumors 65816

TimothyR734

6. chilly7777777 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes

7. TimothyR734 macrumors 65816

TimothyR734

I am not an expert at this but it has happened to me I had to wipe my hdd when I accidentally turned on FileVault do you have a macOS Mojave bootable usb drive

8. chilly7777777 thread starter macrumors newbie

No i do not. But i use right now second computer Macbook Air 13 from which i tape you.

9. TimothyR734 macrumors 65816

TimothyR734

you could also try this holding command R and going in recovery mode

10. chilly7777777 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried. It does not work because i cannot enter password to turn off FileVault or to enter to TimeCapsule.

11. TimothyR734 macrumors 65816

TimothyR734

go to the forum macOS Mojave for unsupported Mac's download the macOS Mojave patcher open the app click on the patcher on your menu bar find tools it will let you download I think macOS Mojave 10.14.5 follow the instructions on creating the usb just remember don't install the post install patches and just install Mac OS Mojave if you have to wipe your hdd do this on your MacBook Air
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2019 ---
    is your time capsule an external one

12. Honza1 macrumors 6502

Before any reinstalling, wiping, and other destructive stuff, can you describe better that you mean by "cannot enter password"? I mean the keyboard seems to be working, I assume mouse also, so what is it doing? What is preventing you from clicking in the field and typing the password?
    Obviously, without typing password in you will have really difficult time to do anything with FileVault protected disk, that is the purpose of the protection.
    Would different keyboard help?

13. chilly7777777, May 28, 2019

chilly7777777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I resolved problem in this way.

I formated main harddrive thrue Command-R

and then i was able to reinstal OS from ground up.

Then i went to Apple Migration Assistant and wanted to restore information from Apple Time Capsule and it did not work and it was saying there is en error and are missing some containers.

So i entered Time Capsule by manual and by manual was retriving importent folders which contain date for programs like Desktop, Documents and other places.

And after thet programs itselfs i had to reinstall fom ground up.

So for now looks like awrything is ok.

Post scriptum:

If i did no have Apple Time Capsule then i would lost all my work and date of my life!!! Because my computer was encrypted and password protected and due to software bug in Apple OS itself i was not able to enter password to log in to my computer!!!

Apple must be more careful and make sure it does not heppen!
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2019 ---
    Mouse worked fine.
    I have Apple wireless keybord.
    At login screen when i tape possword it does not tape there. Black dots do not aprea there.
    I tried allso Apple wired keybord and the same problem.

When i go to Apple Recavery mode password tapes and black dots appear there but it always says that password is wrong.

So i might guess that malfunction in OS itself set different language to password. And there was no option to manualy change language. Nur there was no virtual screen keybord at login screen or in Apple Recovery Mode which i could use and tape just with mouse alone.

14. TimothyR734 macrumors 65816

TimothyR734

From my experience with file vault remember to turn it off before you install macOS updates then make a time capsule backup before you install an update but I am happy you are back up and running

15. Honza1, May 28, 2019

Honza1 macrumors 6502

This suggestion makes little sense. Very few people actually complain about FV failure. When you switch off FV, it takes like day (system specific, of course) to unscramble the disk. And it takes like day to so to encrypt it again. Lots of hassle and not needed.

What is really needed is a good backup of the system before any update/upgrade.

When disks fail today, lots of time they fail completely. Especially SSDs. Independently of FV being used or not.

I had upgrades going bad somehow and for unknown reasons. After recover from backup, same upgrade (on same disk with FV) went through fine.

What happened in the OP case was is weird. I can understand issues with language and keyboard. That is problem if system somehow resets to default US keyboard and one uses native special characters in password, things get complicated. But why would typing in a field be impossible is really difficult to understand.

16. chrfr macrumors 604

It's definitely not necessary to turn off FileVault before doing system updates.