Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajayarjun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
Hi Guys, I am new to carpaly. I have been using this for one week. I have iphone X and I am not able to place whatsapp calls from carpaly. Whenever i choose a recent whatsapp call from phone app in car play the call is not happening. It returns me to the home screen on carplay. The same happens if i try using siri to make whatsapp audio call. It goes all the way till i choose the number after that it returns to homescreen.

After this step if i open whatsapp in my phone; the call is being made. I am not understanding this. Is this a bug or a normal behavior of carplay?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
WhatsApp calls work fine for me. You said something that confuses me though. You said, “Whenever i choose a recent whatsapp call from phone app in car play...” You don’t really mean the Phone app, do you? The Phone app is for regular phone calls. For WhatsApp calls you touch the WhatsApp icon (it might be on your second page of apps—swipe left like you would on iPhone). Alternatively, use Siri by saying, “Call Mom with WhatsApp.”

ajayarjun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
” You don’t really mean the Phone app, do you?

I meant the phone app. My whatsapp call logs is listed under recents tab of my phone app. So when i press a whatsapp call entry from recents tab of my phone app. It initiates a whatsapp call instead of normal audio call

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Since you want to place a WhatsApp call, try the WhatsApp app instead, or use Siri.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Carplay is garbage. I just bought a new car last week and have been testing it out.

PeteLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Carplay is garbage. I just bought a new car last week and have been testing it out.

I'm a tech software developer and have had several popular products on the market over the years. I am personally loving carplay and use it all the time.

Could you be more specific in your areas of dissatisfaction?

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I'm a tech software developer and have had several popular products on the market over the years. I am personally loving carplay and use it all the time.

Could you be more specific in your areas of dissatisfaction?
This is actually the 2nd vehicle that I've had it in. Its too limited in App selection first off. As a PT Lyft/ Uber driver I'd like to see it integrated with those apps specifically. I also like the look and feel of AndroidAuto's UI better.

ajayarjun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
This is actually the 2nd vehicle that I've had it in. Its too limited in App selection first off. As a PT Lyft/ Uber driver I'd like to see it integrated with those apps specifically. I also like the look and feel of AndroidAuto's UI better.
I actually moved to Carplay because Android Auto's ui was too slow to respond most of the times and it wont even respond to some touches.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
OP : What happens when you say "Hey siri call (WhatsApp contact) using WhatsApp"?

ajayarjun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
OP : What happens when you say "Hey siri call (WhatsApp contact) using WhatsApp"?
Interacting wiith SIRI through Carplay
ME: call john with whatsapp
SIRI: which one [Lists out a bunch of similar contacts and asks me to pick one]
ME: I choose a contact
SISR: callling +140940xxxx4 with whatsapp

Thats it. it is stuck and returns to carplay home screen

Now if i unlock my phone and open whatsapp the call is being made.

The same behavior happens when i invoke siri from lockscreen and ask to do the same when not connected to carplay

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX

I agree. If apple maps was any good I could at least live with carplay, but there is so much missing (including the whole subdivision where I live) and you can’t use siri with waze or google maps. I am planning on getting a cheap android for the truck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.