Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Ever since i upgraded, I will see all applications cease to work, it doesn't say the apps or mac crashed. I can still move my mouse and windows around.

It's just that when i try to open any app it will say "cannot open xxxx.app". This applies even to system preferences app and activity monitor. Existing opened applications cease to work too, e.g. chrome you can open new tabs etc but cannot actually visit websites.

However, all I had to do is to restart my mac and everything will be fine again.
I tried putting my mac to sleep manually and then wake it up after 15 minutes or so during the day and I don't see the problem. It's only when the mac sleeps for a longer period of time I am guessing.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
1. Are there any error messages in the Console app logs?
2. What does activity monitor say about your memory usage - memory pressure, total memory, free memory, apps that use the most memory?

sparkso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
1. Are there any error messages in the Console app logs?
2. What does activity monitor say about your memory usage - memory pressure, total memory, free memory, apps that use the most memory?

where do i check 1.?
2. i cant even open activity monitor.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
where do i check 1.?

Applications/Utilities/Console.app

However if activity monitor won't open then console likely won't either.

As you said everything is fine after a reboot bring up Activity Monitor and Console immediately so you can use them when the problem occurs.

You could also try a safe boot. Hold down the shift key when you power on until you see the progress bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.