cannot rename file names of folders, files, or change case of file extensions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sossity, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I have been working with some files on an external hard drive in an enclosure connected via esata via thunderbolt to esata adapter.

when I try to rename some folders, individual files, & change cases of file extensions, it either just does not work, or I get an error; -47 os error, cannot rename file, it is busy, but I do not have the files in use in any other app except pathfinder.

I updated pathfinder, & I now or have not gotten the error message, but still some things will not be renamed.

I have checked permissions under get info for my hard drives, it says I have full read & write.

I tried doing renaming with files that are just on my mac mini internal drive, & it lets me rename etc.

so is it the enclosures that are doing this? or could the files themselves that are on the external drives be corrupt somehow?

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

It is HFS formatted I guess, what happens if you try it with Finder, not with PathFinder?
    Or is it NTFS?

Did you try to repair permissions?

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

The externals I am trying to work with are ntfs, but I have paragon ntfs for mac installed, & I tried a repair permissions but it did not work.

4. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Repair the disk on a PC if you can, if I recall well I have read about similar problems.
    You could try to do this in Disk Utility, I am pretty sure repairing an NTFS HD can be repaired with it when you have Paragon, think I did I while ago.

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You can set the external to ignore permissions in Get Info on the disk.

Once again, for the record, "Repair Permissions" does NOTHING for non System Drives, and only affect SOME System files.

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

I went into the volume permissions in the get info box, but the check box to ignore permissions is greyed out, I cannot check it off.

also when this drive is connected, my trash can is full, so I go to empty the trash, but I get the I do not have permissions dialog, so I cannot delete anything either.

7. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Repair the disk on a PC as I said before, also make sure you have Read/Write access You should have with Paragon), this is not permission, the NTFS format is Read only by default on OS X.

Permissions don't work on NTFS.

8. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

This is an FAT-32 volume, & the items in the trash only show up when the drive is up & running, so it seems i managed to move the items from the external to the trash, but now it will not let me empty the trash.

9. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Of course it won't let you if the HD needs repair, use Windows and repair the HD, I have seen this before here on MR, after a repair it fixed the issues.

Before in Post #3 you said NTFS!