Cannot stream videos on any browser

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by debrey, Mar 4, 2018.

1. debrey macrumors regular

Help!

On my Mac Mini (Mid 2011) running the latest version of High Sierra I can't stream any videos on Safari or Chrome. I can't watch things on Amazon, Netflix, or youtube. I run the mac mini with my projector as my media server. I have tried everything I could find running a search for how to fix streaming problems. Among other things, I have tried:

(1) Enabling pop-ups.
    (2) Clearing my cache
    (3) Disconnecting my projector and trying to watch videos using screen sharing.
    (4) Disconnecting screen sharing and trying to watch videos using my projector.
    (5) Disabling plug ins.

I have restarted my computer before trying each of these. I can't figure it out! Any help greatly appreciated.

2. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

How do you connect the Mini to the projector?

The 2011 Mini supports audio over HDMI, I think it was the first Mini to do so. If the projector supports HDMI, it should accept audio over the HDMI input.

If you use a DVI or VGA input on the projector, you lose audio passthrough. In this case, you need to use an alternate audio interface. The Mini has a headphone jack that supports both Digital and analog output. The digital is optical, so use a cable that supports digital\optical through a 3.5mm jack adapter, such as Belkin. The other end would be optical (aka TOSLink). If the projector doesn't support optical audio inputs, you might need to either use standard analog (3.4mm to 3.5mm) or a converter to convert optical to digital.

Macs won't play video if there is no sound output.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

debrey...you gave a lot of info but it's unclear what you mean by "can't stream". Is it that the streams are stuttering?

4. debrey thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! You identified the problem and I've fixed it!

I send the video out via HDMI and then send the audio to an outboard DAC (digital to analog converter) that connects to my stereo. Somehow the DAC wasn't working. At first I was able to get videos to play by using the built in speakers in my projector. Then I unplugged the USB cable to my DAC and plugged it back in, fixing the problem.

I had no idea that you needed sound to play a video. Good to know for the future. To be clear, movies wouldn't play for even a second. No stuttering or anything -- simply no video at all.