Canon 6D: looks like Canon and Nikon had the same idea at the same time

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by OreoCookie, Sep 17, 2012.

1. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

So it seems the behemoths of the dslr scene are finally pushing down the price of full frame dslrs: Canon has just announced the 6D. In most respects, these cameras are very similar (»derivative« of a smaller consumer camera with APS-C-sized sensor, partly metal, partly high-quality plastics construction, etc.). In some areas (AF, fps and sensor resolution) the D600 has an edge, but in other areas the 6D comes out on top: Canon does the right thing by including GPS and wifi: why does the rest of us have to buy dongles (most of which take up the hot shoe)? 2012 seems to be a good year for dslrs. :)

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Like Wifi in the camera; but does it work with Mac ? I have a Canon video camera with Wifi but not working well against Mac. Have first to wireless FTP to my NAS.
    Time, handbook and reviews will tell ... :)

3. joemod, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

joemod macrumors regular

Before seeing any sample shots, my objection is the very low amount of af-points. I guess focus+recompose will be a standard part of using it.

Edit: Just saw IR preview. Canon removed the joystick and integrated it to the quick control dial. That puzzles me too.

4. OreoCookie thread starter macrumors 68030

According to dpreview, only the center AF point is of cross type -- which is more significant than the number in my opinion. It's really disappointing that Canon is playing that game again.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nikon clearly released the better product. Sure, WiFi would be nice, but I have never had WiFi in a camera and don't find that it distracts from being able to take photos. ;)

But who knows. Maybe Canon's camera has the better image quality?

6. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Honestly. WTF, Canon?

----------

Not unless Canon has completely revolutionized their sensors. Nikon has been well ahead in that game since the D3 was released.

The 11 point AF system with one cross-type sensor is a joke in 2012. I lived with (and made money with) the 5D2's 9-point system, but that was a circa-2008 camera (and frankly, that system was outdated even then).

7. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Because the screen is now touch screen. I think the 6D is a joke. Canon took the same bad AF that was in the 5D2 and put it into this camera. Sure Wifi, GPS and touch screen are new features but everything else is very meh.

I don't understand using SDHC cards. All the other camera models around this use CF and CF has a higher transfer rate.

8. joemod macrumors regular

The counter argument is the near 5DIII very low light focusing ability. -3EV according to specs.

No it does not have touch screen. From dpreview.

Also:
    My wild guess is that because almost all of Canon's crop DSLR use SD memory (all except 7D), Canon is targeting that target group and not the owners of 7D.

9. Sideonecincy, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Yea, I thought you asked why they got rid of the joystick and I was saying that they most probably got rid of it because its a touch screen now :)

At the end of the day, this is the 5D2 repackaged with minor features added. If I was in the market to buy a 5D2, I would possibly buy this. B&H was selling the 5D2 for $1800, so for $200 more you get wifi gps and touchscreen. Sorry, I don't see what Canon is thinking, but I don't run the company either.

10. OreoCookie thread starter macrumors 68030

Counter argument?
    The 5D Mark III uses a top-notch AF module with 61 AF points, 41 of which are cross sensors. The 6D's AF module has nothing in common with the Mark III's module (11 points, 1 cross-type), it is likely a derivative of the 60D's focus system (same number of AF points and same number of same type). The people who are complaining about this decision on Canon's part are referring to the 5D Mark I and Mark II which had similarly underpowered AF modules to the detriment of many photographers (especially with those unique f/1.2 and more common f/1.4 primes whose dof is razor thin, this showed). So the argument is »same game, different camera«.

11. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

It's obvious Canon put a butchered AF system into the 6D so as to not cut into 5D Mark III sales. Unfortunately, Canon wants to make money and by putting specific features/specs in each camera is what sells the individual cameras.

That said, I think the 6D is a good addition in that it's going to push prices for used 5D and 5D Mark II cameras even lower, making full frame a viable option in terms of cost for many people now.

It makes me wish I kept the 7D instead of the 5DII when I bought the 5DIII. Oh well, the 5DII is an excellent backup/supplementary since I run Magic Lantern on it.

12. someoldguy macrumors 65816

It could be that the 6D uses SD cards simply because a CF card wouldn't fit. Case size on a 5D2 is 6x4.5x3 inches ( apologies to the rest of the universe for Imperial measurements) while the 6D measures 5.7x4,4x2.8 . Canon had to fit a FF sensor with shutter , pentaprism, battery , 2 displays ,circuitry and memory in a case whose internal volume is roughly 15% less than a 5D2.About the only component that could be shrunk and still have the camera resemble an xD or XXD body, with top and rear displays is, the memory . CF cards being much larger than SD cards , SD won.

13. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The AF system is disappointing. No CF card slot, only a basic 11-point system that comes on the bottom-line Nikons, 97% coverage viewfinder.
    Simply not worth it for me. I'll be saving up for the 5D Mark III if I should ever get a full-frame DSLR.

Very disappointed in Canon. At least stick in the old 45-point system of the old 1-series so that the 6D can compete with the D600!

14. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

15. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The lovechild of the 60D and the 5D Mark III.
    (I'm theorizing, hence the name)

16. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

XXD bodies always had CF until 60D which reduced in size.

17. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This may cut into the 5DIII market (or it will bring prices down). Being a 5DII owner, the 6D really doesn't interest me. However, I certainly would look at picking one up used as a back up body once the prices go down a little bit.

All in all, I think the D600 impresses me a tad bit more than the 6D. That's just me though.

18. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I would think it would be better to just go 5D3 as main body and 5d2 as backup.

19. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

That's what I'm running right now.

I had the 5D2 and 7D when I acquired the 5D3 and thought for awhile on which to keep. Ended up selling the 7D, although I really liked that body. But Magic Lantern Unified definitely makes me glad I kept the 5D2.

20. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

For the better AF, yes. However, I'm not too keen on dropping $3K on a body when my 5DII suits me fine (I mainly use the center point AF or manual focus).

21. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

coming from a 1DM3 right now I never touched my 20D anymore; just too small. The 6D would be the same. And seems the AF to too slow for air shows and bird-in-flight. I need to save (lots) more money to get the dream body 1Dx ...

22. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I never saw this image initially. The back look hideous!

23. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Right? Canon made an affordable full frame camera and it feels cheap in hand like the rebel series. Good job!

24. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

It literally looks like a toy camera from the back. I don't know what Canon was thinking.

25. blanka macrumors 68000

I would not compare the 6D to the D600. But it has to do with my way of photography (for example 90% of my lenses is MF). Sensor output is everything so to me the line is from bottom to top:
    6D-5DmkIII-D600-D800. The D600 delivers cleaner images as a D3X, and that is really amazing. It has a studio class quality sensor in a cheap body.