Canon Vixia camcorder and Imovie09 anyone have any issues?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SLR2009, Jul 2, 2009.

1. SLR2009 macrumors regular

Hi I have a 2009 2.66 ghz Quad Core mac pro. I plan on purchasing a high definition camcorder, I am very interested in the Canon Vixia series but was concerned because I read that people had issues with their canon Vixia camcorder and Imovie. Should I be concerned? Anyone have any issues with the Canon VIXIA HFS100, HF200, or the HF20 and Imovie09 on their 2009 Mac Pro? I don't want to spend 750-900 dollars on a camcorder if I'm going to have issues importing the videos into my mac. Any info is greatly appreciated

2. JGO macrumors member

I use the HFS 100 with iMovie.

I have not had any issues with importing the movies, editing, etc...

3. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

Ditto, i have the HFS10, basically exact same as the HFS 100 but has built in flash, and i have no issues. iMovie 09' recognizes AVCHD. The only thing is it doesn't just plug in and work. I have to power off my camcorder, plug in USB open iMovie, turn on camcorder, start transfer, transfer clips, SHUT DOWN MAC, TURN OFF camcorder and then turn both back on again to use. That was directly from Canon tech support which isn't in the manual. Other than that its fine. I "trim/edit/compose" videos from my content on a late 08 13" macbook.

4. JGO macrumors member

I don't have this problem.

For Video Transfer: The camcorder must be plugged in to the charger. Then the camera is connected to the Mac via usb cable, a single button on the camcorder is pressed and you choose to connect to computer. Then open iMovie and the camcorder is recognized.

Once I am finished with the import I eject the camera via the finder window, unplug the usb cable from the camera, and the camera reverts being "on."

5. steve123 macrumors regular

:eek:

But I'm guessing this comment was tongue-in-cheek. Otherwise, I'd say this is definitely an "issue".