Canseco says drug users already in Baseball HOF - any guesses on who?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

In a press interview yesterday, Jose Canseco - the voice of reason (!) in Major League Baseball's recent steroid scandal - said that all hell will break loose when it's learned that one or more current Hall of Fame members were juiced and their names go public.

He refused to name names (probably saving it for his next book), but I was wondering if anyone had opinions on who that player/those players might be?

I think the two obvious choices are Rickey Henderson, who Jose played with for many years and thus would have an intimate knowledge of, and Cal Ripken, who had the classic signs of getting better with age and the desire to play through injuries.

Either of these would be a devastating blow, though I suppose as Canseco says, if anyone in the Hall was a user it will be a devastating blow.

Any opinions? Other names? Reasons for including or excluding players from suspicion?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Uh, no.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Does America even recognize baseball as the national past time anymore?

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Dear god I hope not. Obviously this is my personal opinion, but it's a dreadful sport. Basketball is far better. :cool:

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I still think they do. But I have to admit, it is getting a pretty bad rap right now, and rightfully so.

With the big pappy steroid coming out, and I can imagine that other names will follow...it is only going to hit the sport even more.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Some people may, but the truth is that the NFL has become the national sport. The success of the league, TV ratings, and marketing all surpassed MLB years ago. The 1994 strike did major damage to the sport. The home run races of the late 90s helped bring it back, but this whole doping thing is killing it.

Personally, I love watching baseball in person, but I don't really watch in on TV. I like college baseball and minor leagues, but I don't care for the MLB anymore. A big reason is cost. When I was visiting my brother in Dallas a couple of months ago, we went to a Texas Rangers game. We had decent tickets, but they were $50. I can get tickets for the minor league team here in town for about $15-$20, and it's just as enjoyable to me.

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Professional athletes use steroids. I don't know why this comes as a shock to anyone, nor do I see why their use should disqualify an athlete from their respective sports' hall of fame.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

The NBA doesn't have a steroid problem. The league always responds to violations to the drug policy (weed, coke, etc) in a uniform manner. They don't cover things up. Secondly, the NBA players who some might even be suspicious of due to extreme strength, recovery, agility (Dwyane Wade for rehabilitation on his injuries, Dwight Howard for being huge and explosive, and Lebron James for being Lebron James) were on the US olympic team and subjected to performance enhancement testing. Came up clean.

9. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I have my doubts about Canseco's claim unless the Hall of Fame members were active players after the middle 1980's, when baseball players started to discover how to use steriods and other PED's to boost performance. Before then, the only PED worth discussing about among baseball players were amphetamines, which were heavily used by baseball players as far back as the 1950's.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

There'd be no reason for the NBA to have a steroid problem. Steroids are typically used to enhance strength and by extension size, and what use is a bulky basketball player?

11. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I could see an argument for sprint speed. But yeah, in general, juicing in basketball doesn't give you as much of a competitive advantage.

BTW, steroids are not always meant to bulk you up. Steroids are a huge problem in fight sports, where guys cut anywhere between 10-15% of their body mass to make weight. Outside of the heavyweights, everyone is looking to eliminate as much unnecessary bulk as possible. The goal of the in this context is to enable you to train longer, harder than when you're not on the juice.

Yeah, but Rangers Ballpark is an oddly soulless stadium. I suppose it's in line with the general lack of soul of DFW. It's definitely no Wrigley Field or Yankee Stadium, or my favorite, Camden Yards. There's magic to a big league game at a big league stadium when you walk up and into the stands and the big green opens up in front of you.

The other thing that's missing in Dallas is mass transit. Half the point of going to a game is getting drunk with the boys and taking public transportation home. I really hate Dallas.

People blame the player's strike but other sports have had their strikes, too. The reason that people aren't into baseball is that it's just a slower paced sport from a slower paced era. McGwire-Sosa was nice, but I have no idea who won the last World Series. I'll read a few chapters from a Ron Luciano book to get me in the mood if I'm taking a younger relative to a stadium but there's no way I'm watching it on TV.

When's the last time you saw the neighborhood kids playing stickball? Do kids even know what a home run derby is anymore?

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Not really. It's another symptom of the dumbing-down and ADD of America. You see, baseball is the most cerebral team sport, even more so than rounders or cricket. It's less intellectually challenging to watch back-and-forth sports that have clocks. ;)

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

As someone who understands baseball, but still really dislikes it, I can't agree with that. Sure, baseball takes some thinking, but the amount of skill players in the NBA have is just unrivaled and I think that's what makes it popular. I really believe NBA players, on average, are the best pure athletes in the world. They need to be big, they need to be fast, and they need to have incredible coordination.

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Best athletes in a team or a ball sport maybe. Best athletes in any sport? Nah.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

On the whole, the NFL has replaced MLB with the nations favorite sport

But, MLB still is king in some cities just as the NBA is king in some cities. I wouldn't say the NFL is across the board king

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Out of interest, what other sport has better athletes on average? I take athlete to mean extraordinary people in terms of the combination of speed and size, agility, and coordination.

17. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

This is where we get into opinion territory but in terms of raw athleticism, I'd say most of the fight sports, starting with wrestling. All of the above qualities, plus several other components of human physical performance that aren't tested or even close to being pushed in a game like basketball.

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Fixed that for you. :cool:

I cannot stand the NBA. The showboating, the amount of games you see where refs make blatantly wrong calls, etc completely ruin the sport at the professional level.

As for the OT, wouldn't surprise me at all...

I'd agree with you on wrestling. The strategy and raw strength that goes into the sport is incredible. Its a personal favorite of mine.

19. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Hockey.

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I agree about Dallas. I don't mind it, but I could see myself living there, even though my brother has been trying to get me to move there for years. Austin or San Antonio? Yeah, sure. But not DFW. The Ballpark is ok, but it seems like a cookie cutter stadium, and it doesn't help that the Rangers have sucked for so many years. The Ballpark is almost as bad as Turner Field. Talk about sterile and boring. I have a friend who calls it the mall at Turner Field. I would love to see the classic stadiums, but sadly, they are disappearing. I can now scratch off Yankee Stadium.

Yes, other sports have had strikes, and MLB has had plenty. The 94 strike was different, though, since they commited the cardinal sin: They killed the World Series. I can't think of ANY other major sport that canceled their championship due to a strike. Also, the NFL hasn't had one since, 1987 or so. The NBA had that lockout in the 90s, but they haven't had nearly the labor issues of MLB.

Lots of issues are causing the decline in baseball. I think you are right about the slow pace of the game. It just doesn't translate well to TV, which is what ultimately drives sports. Also, as you pointed out, inner city kids just don't play it anymore. It's the kids in the suburbs that play it now. Somehow it went from playing with friends in the back yard to highly organized, highly competitive league play. Oddly, though, it is almost starting to remind me of soccer. Popular with kids, but not translating to the professional level.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Triathlon?

DART lol...

22. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Disagree. Triathlon is essentially three straight line races. Requires endurance, speed and a few other things but it doesn't require particularly high strength, physical coordination, agility or a refined spatial sense.

How come whenever I'm in Dallas and I see a DART bus, it's not moving anywhere?

23. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

MLB is the dominant sport only in cities that have a long, historic relationship with the sport: New York City, Boston, Philadephia, Chicago and St. Louis, MO.

The NFL is THE American sport because the NFL has masterfully marketed itself to become that--not to mention the fact the NFL has a lot of cross-relationships with NCAA Division 1 FBS (Football Bowl System) college football.

24. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Gymnastics.

25. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

When they let Pete in the Hall, I will respect Baseball. And I agree, Baseball is America's "Past"time. Baseball will never surpass NFL now. The NFL is watchable on TV, baseball is not. I only like Baseball in person like someone else stated. Clearly juiced HR hitters are what Baseball needs for coverage and ratings, keep fighting, you are killing the sport. I see no problem with HGH in Baseball.